Is the $1800 extended warrenty worth it?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

I just closed a deal on a new 2012 SE.
The dealer is offering an extended warrenty that extends the 36month/36,000 miles so-called bumper-to-bumper warrenty to 10 years 100,000 miles and does the same for the battery.

I'm usually not a big fan of extended warrenties, but this sounds reasonably attractive, and (a) I can cancel for a full refund within 30 days and (b) you can cancel anytime and get a prorated refund.

Any thoughts/opinions/information regarding this?

I do have to decide whether to include this extended warrenty before I write the check.

Alex

It is worth it if they give you 10 YR. It is only 180 per year.

The battery is warranty for 8 years.

From one of the best EV's on the planet comes an equally great limited battery warranty. 8 years or 100,000 miles. That's 96 months. Not only will you blow past gas stations, you'll leave trends, birthdays, and entire presidential administrations in the dust. With a warranty like this, the i-MiEV makes for the ultimate hand-me-down

I've never read any extended warranty on anything that made good financial sense for the buyer - True, they're a great idea for the dealer . . . . they can make more selling you the warranty than they do selling you the car

I've never bought one and I've also never looked back and wished I had. If I was a vendor selling anything, I'd have all my salesmen trying their darnedest to sell one with everything that goes out the door - Pure profit for the seller

*IF* spending the $1800 gives you $2500 worth of relief from worry . . . . or a better night's sleep, then it's probably a good deal for you . . . . but 10 years later when you look back, you'll still probably wish you had kept your $1800 ;)

Don

With an ICE, you have SO many parts, fluids, belts, transmission, whips, chains, etc., to keep it going. On an EV you have a very simplistic system: Motor, controller, coolant. That's about it. AC motors don't have brushes to wear out, adjust, and replace. The transmission is just a reduction gear and should never need maintenance. Unless something astonishing that happens, your i-MiEV should be nearly maintenance (and repair) free.

Back