Mitsubishi could use a commercial like this to spur sales

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micmel2

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082693_would-you-like-to-buy-a-tank-of-gas-for-2-50-video

This is an ad for the Chevrolet Volt, but if Mitsubishi could come up with this type of commercial to let the public know that the i can get upwards of 70+ miles on the same cost as it would for Volt owners to charge their 16kwH battery, I think it would go a long way in getting the message out there. BTW, according to the article accompanying the video, the ad mentions that the $2.50 fill up would allow the Volt to go 40 miles, far less than our i.

Mitsu's advertising problem is more fundamental - from a mass media perspective, they don't even acknowledge that their own EV exists. I think the finer points of its marginal operating cost advantages over a Volt are incidental at best.

Let's not ignore the elephant in the room. Until Mitsu decides what their North American BEV strategy is (assuming there is one), any advertising effort would be a waste of money, so not very likely to happen. The new CA-MiEV now appearing on the auto show circuit is a concept car intended to demonstrate some technologies that will be deployed in future models - in other words, not itself slated for production. More important, MMNA has been vague about their plans for the current i-MiEV, and have yet to introduce a 2013 model (I'm not sure how that works, but whatever). Despite crazy cheap leases popping up here and there, they've made no move to lower the car's selling price, an essential response to Nissan's price cutting on the Leaf if Mitsubishi hopes to sell any more i-MiEVs.

If they do make up their minds to stay in the game, I think it would be quite easy to edit footage shot for the "Normal/EVtown USA" spot into a commercial with a more pointed "buy this great car" message. The Canadian "Electriphobia" campaign was clever but off the mark; you're not likely to sell a lot of cars by listing off ways that they're not as bad as you think.

The sad thing about this is that the UK cracked down on it's citizens producing bio diesel and here in Texas we've had ICE heads proposing charging $100 to own an EV ( I think Seattle does already). Somehow the Petrochemical Industry will try to make NOT using ICE vehicles unattractive for as long as possible ...

Yesterday I was approached by a man saying, "Is that one of them 'lectric cars?" "Yes it is." "So, does it work alright?" "Yeah, it does fine. Just plug it in overnight like my cell phone." "How far does it go on a charge?" "About 70 miles." "That's pretty neat."

If we keep the message as simple as possible (the man asking the questions didn't look like a mental giant) then we can reach a greater audience. I had already thought through my responses when people ask about my car. (This has only happened twice so far.)

1. Keep it simple. Apple revolutionized cell phones by making them simple to use. We should consider that.
2. Make it seem more convenient than using a gas-powered vehicle. Focus on how easy it is to charge.
3. Make it appealing. Focus on how easy it is to drive and park.
4. Keep other topics, especially technical ones, off the table unless they specifically ask. Telling someone you get 126MPGe requires answering the question, "What is MPGe?"

Maybe I'll try storyboarding some commercial ideas and presenting them here later... Maybe we can get Mitsubishi's attention.

aarond12, the point you make about simplicity if a valid one, as I find myself invariably using math to explain my position and the advantages of the iMiEV and meet with glazed eyes from numerous innumerate innumerates. :geek:

We have a number of related threads you might wish to peruse:

Reactions from Bystanders

Any Regrets

And focusing on driving patterns: Why I don't have Range Anxiety

Back