ElectricAvenue

I-MiEV Sales

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:47 am

Below is an excerpt from an article at Green Car Reports

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/108 ... t-recovers

But the Mitsubishi i-MiEV has now conclusively boosted itself out of last year's sales levels, which looked more like those of a compliance car than the volume battery electric competitor its maker hopes it will be.

In February, Mitsubishi sold 337 i-MiEVs, following an equally stunning 257 units last month. That means more i-MiEVs were sold in two months this year (594) than in all of last year (588).)
"Are we having fun yet?" Reddy Kilowatt (nah ... Zippy the Pin Head)

jennrod12

Re: I-MiEV Sales

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 am

Nice to hear!

Jenn
2012 Diamond White i-MiEV ES
with green racing stripes and hubcaps (thanks to WeeJohn)
Santa Clara, CA

micmel2

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I was one of the lucky ones that took advantage of the sweet leasing deals. I picked my i last Wednesday. I don't know how much longer Mitsubishi can sustain the sales of the i with this fantastic deal.

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 pm

I picked mine up on Feb. 21. I just bought mine outright because I don't thoroughly get the gist of leasing, and therefore don't trust it. I just happened across the $6,000 dealer cash and thought it was too good to pass up. With my down payment, my payments are less than $300 a month, and I've already saved $50 in gas in my first week.

Glad to hear sales are way up. Are there any commercials on TV yet for this car? My sister was telling me she saw one, but the only one I can find is for the Normal, IL deloyment, on YouTube.

Welcome to the forum, Micmel2, and congratulations on your acquisition.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Welcome to all the new owners! I'd like to think that the car's sales are increasing due to us owners' enthusiasiasm and spreading the word about how well our zero-emissions and efficient iMiEV meets most peoples' needs rather than its better pricing or the rising cost of gasoline...
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I agree with you. I know in showing the car, that comfort and interior space are among the first comments about the car, followed by range and a few other miscellaneous items. Cost is often among the last topics to come up. However, the question that comes up first almost all the time is, "What is it?" Once you tell them, "It's a Mitsubishi i. It's all electric, there's no gas in this car.", that opens up an instant 5 minute conversation, at least. People are interested in this car, but I think the lack of advertisement really shows because almost all of the people I talk to have never heard of the i before, or even knew Mitsubishi had an electric car.

I think the sudden spike in sales is partly due to others following my train of thought. I waited until after the new year, mainly to see how the elections would turn out, but also to wait out most of the winter and see about 2013 models. Maybe people wanted to snag up a MiEV before they would be wiped off the map by the new LEAF. Owner's enthusiasm certainly played a huge part, no doubt.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

benswing

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 pm

I have to agree with the sentiment that iMIEV sales are stronger due to better financing options, unfortunately. Got mine only because they were giving them away with leases below $99/mo.

Until the range gets closer to 80 or 100 miles/charge the MIEV will be a second tier electric vehicle for most people. I really enjoy driving mine, but have arrived at home with single digits on the RR display 2 out of 3 times so far. It seems to have JUST enough range to be practical, but not enough to be comfortable for my needs. (NOTE: these trips are between 17-20 miles each way and have taken place with temperatures below 45 degrees mostly on highway.)
Driving Electric since 2007: Vectrix VX1 - 2007-2010, Zero S ZF9 - 2012-Present, Mitsubishi iMIEV - 2013 - 2015

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 pm

benswing wrote:Until the range gets closer to 80 or 100 miles/charge the MIEV will be a second tier electric vehicle for most people. I really enjoy driving mine, but have arrived at home with single digits on the RR display 2 out of 3 times so far. It seems to have JUST enough range to be practical, but not enough to be comfortable for my needs. (NOTE: these trips are between 17-20 miles each way and have taken place with temperatures below 45 degrees mostly on highway.)
I think whether it's 'second tier' or not is largely determined by where you live, where you need to go and whether or not you can recharge away from home. We have found alternative routes that keep us off the freeways 90% of the time and we do regularly get 75 or 80 miles per charge - It's not hard to do if you keep your speed down

We thought it would be good for 75% or so of all the trips we need to make when we bought ours last May, but it hasn't turned out that way. We have 2 other gas burners and as it works out, they need to be on trickle chargers because it's not unusual for both of them to sit for 5 or 6 weeks between uses . . . . and lately we've been 'inventing' a need to drive them just so they still get SOME use. Now with 7800 miles on the iMiEV, the other 2 probably have less than 250 miles each since we bought this car

We're retired, so we don't work (so no recharging there) and we have no public chargers of any kind in our area, so 100% of all our charging so far is done in our garage. Still, we use the car every single day and we recharge every 2nd or 3rd night - Definitely not 'second tier' for us :mrgreen:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

benswing

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Don wrote: We have 2 other gas burners and as it works out, they need to be on trickle chargers because it's not unusual for both of them to sit for 5 or 6 weeks between uses...

I love reading lines like this! :)
Driving Electric since 2007: Vectrix VX1 - 2007-2010, Zero S ZF9 - 2012-Present, Mitsubishi iMIEV - 2013 - 2015

Vike

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 pm

ElectricAvenue wrote:In February, Mitsubishi sold 337 i-MiEVs, following an equally stunning 257 units last month. That means more i-MiEVs were sold in two months this year (594) than in all of last year (588).)
Wait a minute - it's been reported elsewhere in this forum that Mitsu sold nearly 800 i-MiEVs in the U.S. last year. Where did this 588 number come from?
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Return to “iMiev News”