TXCharlie

Re: Barebones new Leaf undercuts i-MiEV pricing

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm

I almost waited for the Ford Focus EV to come out, because it recharges in 4 hours, since it has a 6.6 KW charger (Focus is supposed to eventually be available in 3 or 4 flavors I think: Gas, EV, Hybrid, and/or Plug-in Hybrid).

However, the price was forecast to be about $10k over the MiEV's current price, but the range is only like 5 or 10 miles more. I couldn't see spending $10k just for a faster charge. Ford will have to follow suit and lower their Focus EV price, or double the range. I might pay $10k more if it had a 150+ mile range instead of a faster charge rate.

Vike

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

TXCharlie wrote:I almost waited for the Ford Focus EV to come out, because it recharges in 4 hours, since it has a 6.6 KW charger...
I often see this point raised as an unalloyed good, but I think it should be considered with appropriate caveats. Yes, the Focus-E is better configured for opportunity charging, since it can draw power twice as fast from public chargers. But if you're charging at home (the reality for EV buyers in most parts of the country), 6.6kW is a decidedly mixed bag. If you're charging overnight, there's not much difference between 6-7 hours and 3-3.5 hours, but 6.6kW is a heck of a load to add to your electrical system, possibly enough to force you into an expensive panel upgrade.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

TXCharlie

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Yeah it's about 220v @ 30a.

I would HOPE their charger will have switchable charge rates and two swappable cables, one for 110V at about 10a and the other for an electric clothes drier outlet, which is usually 220v 30a but not necessarily.

But the charger they include with the car is probably like the MIEV's charger, which forces you to buy a separate charger for the high charge rates.

Vike

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

TXCharlie wrote:But the charger they include with the car is probably like the MIEV's charger, which forces you to buy a separate charger for the high charge rates.
I don't know anybody that's including a portable EVSE to plug into a dryer outlet (or equivalent) with the car, though I've seen some 3rd party swap/upgrades that purport to offer this. Nissan and Mitsubishi have not been encouraging on this point; you can search this forum for some of the minor horror stories.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Lithim

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

PV1
Thanks for lots of good information and vehicle comparisons.
Had a question about your estimate of $4000. for Prius oil changes for eight years. Seems like pretty expensive oil or lots of oil changes per year.

New silver ES owner in Houston.

Return to “iMiev News”