How To: Using the MiEV Remote

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
Remote Overview

live_12.jpg

a. Power/Send Button
The power/send button is used to turn the remote on and off as well as send commands to the i-MiEV.

b. Mode Button
The mode button is used to cycle through the remote's different functions: Delay start timer, delay stop timer, and pre-conditioning.

c. Manual Charge Button
The manual charge button is used to clear all timers and immediately start charging if not already charging.

d. Up/Down Buttons
The up/down buttons are used to increase or decrease the delay in .5 hour increments on both the delay start and delay stop timers, as well as scroll through the different pre-conditioning functions. (Official documentation lists these as Up/Down buttons, though they are arranged as left/right buttons.)

e. Display
The display shows various pieces of information, including charge level, charging status, the delay start and delay stop timers, and pre-conditioning functions.

f. Antenna
The antenna is used for operation further away from the i-MiEV or from inside a building. It is an extendible antenna.

Using the MiEV Remote

1. Turning on the Remote
Holding the power button for 1-2 seconds will turn on the remote. The remote display will light up and you will hear 4 ascending tones. If the remote is able to communicate with the car, the ascending tones will be followed by 4 descending tones, and the display will show the current charge level, charging status, and (if set) the remaining time on the delay start timer. If the remote is unable to communicate with the i-MiEV, you will hear two tones and the display will flash the antenna and error (ERROR) icon.

For the following functions, the i-MiEV must be plugged into a powered on level 1 or level 2 EVSE. Otherwise, you will receive ERROR on the remote.

2. Setting a Delay Start Timer
To set a Delay Start Timer, Press the Up/Down buttons to dial in a delay in increments of .5 hours after turning the remote on. This timer is marked by a stopwatch icon followed by ON. The Delay Start Timer has a range from 0 hours to 19.5 hours. If no value is displayed, the timer is not set. After dialling in the desired delay in hours, press the Power/Send button to send the timer to the i-MiEV. A successful transmission is marked by 4 ascending tones as the hour and antenna icons flash, followed by 4 descending tones. If the plug icon was lit, it should now be off. To cancel the delay start timer, press the manual charge button, then press send. You should hear 4 ascending tones followed by 4 descending tones and the plug icon should now be lit. Also, any timers set will be cleared if the i-MiEV is unplugged, started (READY is shown on the dash), turned off, then plugged back in (a usual driving cycle). Please refer below for any errors received.

3. Setting a Delay Stop Timer
To set a Delay Stop Timer, turn the remote on by holding the Power/Send button for 1-2 seconds, press the mode button once, then press the Up/Down buttons to dial in a delay in increments of .5 hours. This timer is marked by a stopwatch icon followed by ON-->OFF. The Delay Stop Timer has a range from 0 hours to 19.5 hours. If no value is displayed, the timer is not set. After dialling in the desired delay in hours, press the Power/Send button to send the timer to the i-MiEV. A successful transmission is marked by 4 ascending tones as the hour and antenna icons flash, followed by 4 descending tones. To cancel the delay stop timer, press the manual charge button, then press send. You should hear 4 ascending tones followed by 4 descending tones and the plug icon should now be lit. Also, any timers set will be cleared if the i-MiEV is unplugged, started (READY is shown on the dash), turned off, then plugged back in (a usual driving cycle). Please refer below for any errors received.

4. Pre-conditioning
To pre-condition the i-MiEV cabin, turn the remote on, press the mode button twice, then use the up/down buttons to select a function. The available options are A/C OFF, COOL, HEAT, and Defrost. An Auto selection may be visible on the display, but is unable to be selected. Once the desired function is selected, press the power/send button to send it to the i-MiEV. You should hear 4 ascending tones followed by 4 descending tones. Make sure that all doors and rear hatch are fully closed prior to starting a pre-condiition function. Otherwise, it will not start. The doors and hatch can be opened after a successful transmission of the command.

Pre-conditioning Functions

1. COOL
The COOL function will start the cabin AC and fan with air directed through the dash vents and will run for up to 30 minutes. The cabin fan will run, and shortly after the compressor will start and the radiator fan will run on low. Sending the A/C OFF command or unplugging the i-MiEV will cancel this function.

2. HEAT
The HEAT function will start the cabin heater and run the cabin fan at a low speed with air directed to the floor. HEAT will also activate the heated seat(s) if the switch(es) are turned on. This function will run for up to 30 minutes. Sending the A/C OFF command or unplugging the i-MiEV will cancel this function.

3. Defrost
The Defrost function is marked by a windshield icon. This function will activate the rear defroster, heated mirrors (if equipped), heated seat(s) if the switch(es) is/are turned on, and the cabin heat with air directed to the windows. This function will run for up to 30 minutes and can be cancelled by sending A/C OFF or unplugging the i-MiEV. By personal experience, this mode is the most effective at warming the cabin.

4. A/C OFF
This function will cancel any pre-conditioning function and turn off the HVAC system.

Errors

With the MiEV Remote, errors are almost guaranteed.

1. Communication Error
Generally, communication errors result from the remote being out of range of the i-MiEV, but also stem from use while plugged into a level 2 EVSE. A communication error is marked by the antenna icon and ERROR flashing together as two tones sound. If the i-MiEV is connected to level 2, try sending the command again. It may take 3-5 tries for a successful transmission when on level 2. Also try extending the antenna if not already and moving closer to the i-MiEV.

2. Power Error
A power error results from the i-MiEV not receiving power from the J1772 port when trying to set a delay start or stop timer or when trying to activate pre-conditioning. This is displayed by the plug icon and ERROR flashing as two tones sound. Check to make sure that the i-MiEV is plugged into J1772 EVSE and that the EVSE has power. When turning the remote on, the i-MiEV should engage the contactor in the EVSE if it is not already.

Tips and Tricks

1. While pre-conditioning will function on both level 1 and level 2, using pre-conditioning while connected to a level 2 EVSE is more effective.
2. During the cold season where you will be pre-heating the i-MiEV, leave the heated seat switch(es) turned on. They will activate with the HEAT and Defrost functions.
3. If you experience snowfall and are expecting snowfall while your i-MiEV is parked, lift your windshield wipers so that they stay off of the windshield. When you activate the Defrost function, this will allow accumulated snow to slide off of the windshield. You can do the same for the rear wiper, as well. For heavier snowfall where sweeping off the entire car is necessary, sweep the car off either before or during the 30 minute pre-heating window so that the windows will be clear when you go to leave. Obviously, put the wipers back down before driving.
4. The remote pre-conditioning functions operate independently of the in-car climate control settings. It does not matter where you leave the dials when using pre-conditioning as the remote overrides the in-car settings. The exception to this are the heated seats. They will operate with HEAT or Defrost functions only if the switches in the car are turned on. Note that in North America, 2012 models only had a heated drivers seat while the 2014, 2016, and 2017 models had both driver and front passenger heated seats.
5. While the remote works almost flawlessly on level 1, it does have issues communicating with the i-MiEV while plugged into level 2. This is most noticeable when sending delay start or stop timers or activating pre-conditioning while charging, or attempting to stop pre-conditioning by sending A/C OFF. I've gotten the timing right for a successful transmission in 3 tries. After each error, wait about half a second after the error tone stops, then press send again. The process will be: Initial send --> ERROR --> Send --> ERROR --> Send --> Confirm. A successful transmission is marked by 4 descending tones.

Shown here:
https://open.lbry.com/@PV1:9/imiev_remote_error:a

Charge Level

The on-screen battery charge level icon will show the charge level of the i-MiEV lithium ion drive battery divided into 3 segments. This is NOT the battery gauge for the remote's batteries. The i-MiEV should be able to respond with the current charge level without being plugged in. Check back for the SoC parameters.

For any comments, fixes, suggestions, please send me a PM. I do have a little more research to do and will also upload a few videos. Please keep checking back for updates.

Edit: Update by JoeS. 27 September 2018
Here is DonDakin's video about using the Remote (includes some CaniOn information also) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgIM7MIyxLQ

Edit by JoeS. 3 November 2019 - Added the following from @kiev:

Some other useful information to add with this-- the Omron manual for the remote.

dj2Z3aH.png

Back