Crashed silver SE in Chicago

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what that secondary 'mechanical' damage is. Since the AC condenser isn't even bent, it looks like a very rebuildable car. Tis a shame what minor damage will total a car these days. That's one thing that makes me nervous about insurance costs for a Tesla. I've seen some minor collisions total the Model S even with very low miles on a $100k car! The forged or cast aluminum ring around the frunk seems prone to fracture.

Yo Joe- can you shed some light on the relative costs of i-MiEV vs TESLA insurance?

jray3 said:
Yo Joe- can you shed some light on the relative costs of i-MiEV vs TESLA insurance?
I have Allstate, and have a bunch of properties and other coverages as well as the cars insured. It's a convoluted mess, but enough to have my local agent want to keep me as a customer.

jray3, I'm afraid it's apples and oranges, as my i-MiEVs I now have insured for liability only and the Tesla has collision and comprehensive. I do recall being pleasantly surprised that the Tesla premium was not exorbitant. Sorry, don't remember the numbers exactly, but considering the used Tesla's value is ten times higher than the used i-MiEV's, IIRC, the premium was only around twice that of a fully-covered i-MiEV.

With my miserable experience a couple of years ago whereby the drunk driver ran into and totaled my fully-insured Honda Insight for which the insurance company did not pay me what I felt was fair, I reassessed my insurance needs, especially considering how many vehicles I actually had insured. Now I have liability-only on everything but the Tesla, but each i-MiEV premium has ended up costing a different amount. Working with the agent, there are so many different discounts that can be taken into account: safe driver, multiple-policy, who the primary driver is, which car is the primary one, annual mileage, 'work' mileage, etc.

I remember challenging them because my wife's old Toyota qualified for an 'Economy Car' discount and the i-MiEVs didn't - last I talked with them, my agent was still trying to get a response back from Allstate as to what was the definition of an 'Economy Car'.

Looking back at a lifetime of driving it's quite obvious that I squandered many thousands of dollars on unnecessary automobile insurance coverage. Knock on wood (hard!), neither my wife nor I have ever thumped into anyone, although I have a Saab-cow—on-the-roof-cowboy-in-a-bar story from 45 years ago that keeps getting better every time I tell it. The only claims I've had in 25+ years with Allstate (other than the Honda Insight whapped by the uninsured unlicensed driver) are two cracked windshield replacements at $100 deductible - one of which was my original i-MiEV.

Sorry, too much philosophising and not enough specificity.

Sheesh - we drifted off-topic - double sorry, but you asked… don't we have an insurance thread here somewhere?

I can also say with Allstate in Florida, the two cars (a 2012 I-MiEV SE and a 2014 Tesla Model S) both with full coverage were within 10% of each other. The I-MiEV was the 10% higher vehicle. I asked the agent at the time why and his response was the value of the car is way less than the value of the occupants. And there in was the problem. The I-MiEV (S) are now gone and the Tesla has crept up a little in insurance cost but not really bad. Also noted that I had two identical 2012 I-MiEV's one leased and one owned. The leased one cost several dollars more to insure than the owned one.

Back