Cabin Air Filters

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlink

I am considering doing a quantity purchase of Cabin Air Filters for the 2012 i-MiEV from Asia. I am wondering how many people would be interested in purchasing one or more? They would be in the $20.00+ USD price range plus re-shipping from California. This would beat any US price I could find by 50%. Anyone interested please reply to this post.

I don't mean to be a worry wart, but to put it more positively, stockpiling a few i-specific consumables might be a really good idea. Cabin air filter seems a good bet; hopefully wiper blades are reasonably generic. Fingers crossed the brake pads will last a really long time. At least we don't have to replace oil filters or engine air filters. And let's not talk about traction batteries......

As to consequences, unlike an engine air filter, I would think a cabin air filter is more a matter of comfort and convenience than safety or longevity. But I could be missing something obvious.

You know what? Count me in!

I went to buy one on Amazon... Before I made a mistake, some helpful reviewer posted the following. Look familiar? :D

By JJLINK
Amazon Verified Purchase
Despite Amazon's saying it fits this car (2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV), it does not I bought one and its the wrong size. Otherwise the product looks OK.

So yeah, I'll take 2. How about PayPal?

I will also take 2. PayPal would be great. Shipping to a friend in Atlanta who will bring them to Switzerland.

I ordered two, just to make sure they fit. Once I verify they are what we need I will order a larger quantity then we can do Paypal for anyone who wants some.

As for Amazon, Yes I bought the one they say fits the 2012 i-MiEV (Premium Guard PC5530) and of course it was way too big. However when I tried to return it they said keep it and we will give you a refund anyway.

Be warned someone on eBay is selling the same wrong sized filter for the i-MiEV (Premium Guard PC5530).

Llecentaur said:
Could there be a dieeference between US & EU/Japan model, explaining those size mistakes?

I'm guessing no, because the i-MiEV, PEUGEOT ION, and CITROEN C-ZERO are all showing the same part number in a cross-reference table I found.

Also there was this review on Amazon confirming they don't have the right data for this air filter:

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon vechicle guide recomends wrong parts., August 15, 2012
By Bout80 - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Premium Guard PC5530 Cabin Air Filter (Automotive)
I used Amazon guide to input I own a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution. The "matching cabin filter" was Pc5530. When it arrived it did look like the right size,however the filter door cover for my mitsu is made on the filter.This filter has a foam edge on no cover door to seal it.Since it cost half what I paid for it to send it back I just sealed the where the cover went with duct tape. Evo owners you can make this work but it is not the correct filter.

Thx- I hadn't tried to install my Amazon purchase and the return window was drawing near.
So, I'll join the group buy and take two.

OK, Here are the cabin air filters. The only difference I see from the OEM filter is the OEM filter has charcoal impregnated into the filter material. This is to remove orders. Thats why the OEM appears dirty, its not dirty that's the charcoal.

This is where it is installed, behind the glove box.

FYI - These still appear to be available here:

Cabin Filter » JS » AC304J
https://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?rout ... t_id=29072

Also NAPA auto parts may filters that fit.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1307&p=40421#p40416

What are the exact dimensions?

This might be a horrible idea... but I might be able to find a suitable air filter at Home Depot. You know, the kind that you put in a regular household air handler?

The parts supplier in Asia just E-mailed saying I could get a very good price on shipping if I order a large enough quantity. So i will check and see where the the price break kicks in. Of course I would have to buy small shipping boxes and re-ship these out to all who want them. Also the supplier requires payment via PayPal so I will need to have some cash in my checking account before I can order them. :) If you find a alternative let us know soon before I order these.

The Exact dimensions are:

SPECIFICATION
Length 180 mm (7.08661 inches)
Width 179 mm (7.04724 inches)
thickness 18 mm (0.708661 inches)

jjlink,

Let us know the prices. It sounds like a good excuse for another SF Bay i-MiEV meetup, as well!

Other areas could do the same, to minimize re-shipping. Hawaii, Maryland, and I'm not sure where the other i-MiEV hotbeds are... :geek:

Jenn

1pVQJt9

OK, its looking like I can easily get these filters for less than $15 each. If I increase the order quantity is could be less.

I can purchase U-line 8 x 8 x 2 shipping boxes for the cost $1.09 each (Qty of 25). I would only need these shipping to people.

The shipping for two filters is 8 oz in a box for first class mail would be about $3.00. Priority mail is like $6.95.

Then there would be Paypal fees which is 2.9% of the purchase price plus $0.30 USD.

So were looking like $35.38 for two delivered via first class mail and payment via Paypal.

Jen suggested local groups could be hand delivered and skip the shipping, box, and Paypal fees.
BayMiEVers group see this post http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=267&p=8062#p8062

So far I have seen interest for about 25 filters. Anyone else want in on this?

These are supposed to be changed once a year, right? I could go for three of them. If I were smart, I'd just take 10! But maybe we'll have a repeat order in a couple of years. And so far, Mitsubishi paid for my first one, I'm not sure how long they'll keep doing that.

I'll pick mine up at JoeS' house :D (or wherever we decide)

Jenn

Back