sandange
Posts: 883
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact: Website

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Sat May 16, 2015 3:06 pm

JoeS wrote:
Yes I can, Yes I can, …

Image



Now That's Ambitious!
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
88,850 miles, 143,000 km
Previous EVs
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
Total Electric miles driven 130,480 miles (210,000 km)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

misterbleepy
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, UK

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Mon May 18, 2015 2:11 am

that Sea Cycle looks fun - does it have propellers, or does it have the flipper/paddle things that Hobie use in their pedal powered kayaks?
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3475
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 am

misterbleepy wrote:that Sea Cycle looks fun - does it have propellers, or does it have the flipper/paddle things that Hobie use in their pedal powered kayaks?
Propellers, just like an outboard motor, pedal-powered like a bicycle, one for each person. http://www.sea-cycle.com/ Used it very heavily and it made a wonderful dinghy for my catamaran when cruising for seven years. Oops, really off-topic - PM me if you want more info.

Back on-topic, I sent Tork Lift Central an errata on their instructions and also suggested that they make the hitch out of aluminum. 41# back there is just too much for our little i-MiEV to carry around all the time, IMO.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Aerowhatt
Gold Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Mon May 18, 2015 8:36 am

JoeS wrote:I sent Tork Lift Central an errata on their instructions and also suggested that they make the hitch out of aluminum. 41# back there is just too much for our little i-MiEV to carry around all the time, IMO.


I'm not sure it would make that much difference. Looking at hitch receiver cargo platforms. For identical size and design from the same manufacturing company the Aluminum version weighed 28lbs Vs 34lbs for steel. A 21 % increase for the steel. You have to go with heavier gauge stock when making something like this out of aluminum which negates some of the weight advantage. Presumably a Torklift aluminum hitch would weigh 34lbs or 7lbs less. Sure weight matters, and weight distribution matters but IMO 1.5% increase in Vehicle weight is negligible no matter where it is placed. On a sports car for sure, my old triumph spitfire would have noticeably more oversteer when the gas tank wasn't full.

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016

misterbleepy
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, UK

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 am

JoeS wrote:Oops, really off-topic - PM me if you want more info.

ta for the link, and well done for keeping a steady hand on the tiller to maintain this thread's heading :-)
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3475
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am

Aerowhatt wrote:
JoeS wrote:I sent Tork Lift Central an errata on their instructions and also suggested that they make the hitch out of aluminum. 41# back there is just too much for our little i-MiEV to carry around all the time, IMO.
I'm not sure it would make that much difference...
Aerowhatt, this Tork Lift Central hitch is significantly overbuilt IMO and is rated "2,000 lbs Weight Carrying / 200 lbs Tongue Weight", in keeping with how they normally build hitches (which includes a safety margin as well). All other things being equal, I would be happy with 1/3 the load-carrying specs for 1/3 the weight, as I don't think any of us will be approaching the hitch's limits, no matter what my photo shows :) Incidentally, I believe the Tongue Weight limit is determined by the shear strength of the attachment at the car, rather than the hitch itself. BTW, I did receive feedback from Tork Lift Central that they are considering Aluminum; pity there are so few of us to give them a lot of business.
Aerowhatt wrote:Sure weight matters, and weight distribution matters but IMO 1.5% increase in Vehicle weight is negligible no matter where it is placed. On a sports car for sure...
That weight is at the extreme aft end of the car and I really won't know its effect until the next rain (October?); some of us throw our little i-MiEV around like a sports car. Many moons ago I sacrilegiously put a hitch on my Austin Healey 3000 (yes, to tow my first boat) and, indeed, it was noticeable.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 am
Location: The Heart o' Dixie
Contact: Website

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Tue May 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Count me in for the 1/3-load (600 lbs?) rated aluminum version--i'll even commit to buy 3 of them and give them to my local miev-gang members if necessary.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Aerowhatt
Gold Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Tue May 19, 2015 9:28 pm

JoeS wrote:That weight is at the extreme aft end of the car and I really won't know its effect until the next rain (October?); some of us throw our little i-MiEV around like a sports car. Many moons ago I sacrilegiously put a hitch on my Austin Healey 3000 (yes, to tow my first boat) and, indeed, it was noticeable.


Sports car, or more extreme, a race car, slight changes in balance, suspension and tire pressure (1 PSI at a time) make the difference between winning or not. I won't quibble that. And I agree that the hitch is overbuilt for what the i-MiEV should tow. But Personally I'm fine with 41 lbs at the back of the car. It's not a sports car or race car, for me it's a work horse and clean, fun transportation. Companies like tork lift can't build a hitch just for what the i should tow. They are required to fall into a class and be rated thusly. The Hitch that we both installed on our i-MiEV's is a class 1 the lightest duty hitch sold in north america. I hope that you find the inevitable change in handling acceptable when it does rain. So far I can't tell it's back there. But you have far more miles in this car than I do, so I'll defer to your impressions once you do get an opportunity on a wet road.

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016

bobakka
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Any idea if this will fit an European 2011 model iMiev?
I am looking for the hitch to carry my bicycle.
I know that the dimensions on US and European iMiev are slightly different, but do not know if this also apply to where the hitch will be mounted
iMiev; New Feb 2011; 119000 km January 2017

Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 2672
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:38 am

JoeS wrote:Aerowhatt, this Tork Lift Central hitch is significantly overbuilt IMO and is rated "2,000 lbs Weight Carrying / 200 lbs Tongue Weight", in keeping with how they normally build hitches (which includes a safety margin as well). All other things being equal, I would be happy with 1/3 the load-carrying specs for 1/3 the weight, as I don't think any of us will be approaching the hitch's limits, no matter what my photo shows :)
I think this 11 pound 'solution' would be more than adequate for most of us . . . . LOTS cheaper too!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2344&p=18912&hilit=trailer+hitch#p18912

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”