coulomb

Re: Replace Low Beam (H11) Head Light Bulbs

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 pm

jennrod12 wrote:is there a trick to it?

There is usually a tongue that needs to be depressed, possibly with a small tool like a small flat-blade screwdriver. They're nearly always really fiddly, so some wiggling and force is required even when the elusive tongue is found. A second flat-blade screwdriver may also be useful to force the halves apart.

jennrod12

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm done!

The instructions make sense, once you've done it once ;-). It took me about 3 hours to remove the first headlight assembly, 30-45 minutes to remove the second. About an hour to put the two of them back in. I used halogen bulbs again, but higher visibility ones, we'll see how long they last.

The hardest parts were finding the pop rivet in the wheel well (a you tube video helped, search for "Removing the headlight on a Mitsubishi i"), and, the hardest, figuring out how to disconnect the wiring. There is a grey plastic part in the shape of a T that needs to be held down on the part of the connector closer to the bumper, on the side away from the fender. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze it and then the back end of the connector slid right out.

Once I had the assembly out, I took out the high beam by mistake, and wondered why the new bulb didn't fit. Whoops!

Casualties: I broke the clip thingy at the top of the assembly, next to the first bolt, on both assemblies. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the assembly out without breaking it. I think it's only useful for holding the headlight in place until you get the bolts in, it didn't cause me any trouble when I put things back together. Also, where the 3rd bolt screws in, there is a metal piece attached to the plastic assembly that has the threading on it. On my driver's side headlight, that metal piece fell off. Apparently the plastic nub that was holding it on was shorn off. I don't think it was from anything I did. Fortunately I was able to find the piece! That took me a little extra time on re-assembly, I finally just taped it in place, then screwed in the bolt which worked to hold it together.

Not really something I want to do again soon, although if it is soon, I'll still remember how to do it! At least I got to use the telescoping nut driver my husband gave me (perfect for that 3rd bolt!), along with both flashlights he gave me for Christmas - one was magnetic and stuck to the inside of the hood to shine down where I needed it, that was cool.

Jenn
2012 Diamond White i-MiEV ES
with green racing stripes and hubcaps (thanks to WeeJohn)
Santa Clara, CA

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 am

Jenn, thank you for the details. Hope these new ones last you another seven years. :roll:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”