acensor

Re: Sun Shade.

Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 am

JoeS wrote:As some of you may have noticed, I merged these two identical topics. Reminder to everyone to search first before starting a new topic..

I often want to do a presearch before starting a topic, but as you well know, the search function here sucks. :(
I remembered someone here .....you IIRR.... Posted how to use google to effectively search this forum.... But I could've remember the syntax :oops: , and of course when I tried to use the forum's search to find THAT tip it failed to find it ;)
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

danpatgal

Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 am

The site search is useful for any site, just add the term "site:", so your search string would be "Shade site:myimiev.com" [you don't need the quotes when searching].

jray3

Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Don wrote: When you see someone driving a black car, you pretty much know they're from out of town . . . . very far out of town!
Don

Indeed Don, but now that this Mississippi native is very far out of town, I'm guesstimating that the winter heat gain of a black car will outweigh the short summer penalty, and given how nicely our batteries wake up when warm, A/C may exact a smaller penalty than the heater.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 110,300 miles
2016 KIA SOUL EV, 90 kW, 27 kWh, 34k miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh

Don
Site Moderator

Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I lived in the Seattle Tacoma area for 15 years or so (before being permanently transplanted to Mississippi) and agree that black is probably an advantageous color up there . . . . if you can find some way to keep it clean without washing it every other day

Everyone should own a black car once in their lifetime - There is nothing prettier than a freshly washed and waxed black car. Mine was an '80's Toyota Supra . . . . which I had repainted white 4 or 5 years after I bought it

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

acensor

Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 am

MLucas wrote:Why not just trim it a bit and put it on the inside of the car? That material is flexible enough to fit inside the plastic fascias and dashboard, ......
She could, but INSIDE the window it is not as efficient as keeping the car cool as outside.
Reasons(with heatshield inside): First, once that sun hits the glass itself (which has a slight tint and does absorb some energy) it warms the glass itself. Once the glass is hot it is transmitting heat into the car by convention, conduction, and radiation. While most of the heat it reradiates toward the inside of the car is then reflected back out by the heatshield, the hot air and adjacent metal and plastic heated by the hot glass does get inside the cabin. In short, with it INside a nice layer of hot air between the shield and the window is created and that does leak, significantly I'm sure if you're parked for hours in direct sun, into the cabin.

With the shield OUTSIDE the light/radiant energy is never allowed to even hit the glass, let alone go past it. Cooler windshield, cooler air layer behind it, etc.
With it outside it is also blocking/insulating the surface of the windshield from conductive heating by the hot air itself (consider a 100 degree day).

In terms of the difference between having it inside vs outside if just parking in the sun for an hour I don't it's significant. Bet it is if parked for many hours...particularly if the air temperature itself, not just the sunlight, is high.

Since in terms of easy of use with that material of inside vs outside being about equal, I'd say her method is better.

That said, ANY windsheild sunshade is going to be radically better at keeping the inside from becoming suitable for baking bread than having none. I like the idea (see earlier in this thread) of a total cabin cover, and if in a really hot place and lifestyle had us parking in the sun would go for that. But not worth the bother as ours is parked in garage most of the time and our town has a half decent scattering of shady parking spots.
Alex
2015 Subaru Forester CVT

acensor

Fri May 31, 2013 10:55 am

JoeS wrote:fjpod, I thought it was a great idea and when we parked today I did just that. As I was taking the photo ..... :|
Hey, in you're photo you have that "100% electric" on your front bumper.

Was that stock? (My white with blue trim SE doesn't have that... just a decal below the doors).
Alex
2015 Subaru Forester CVT

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri May 31, 2013 12:04 pm

acensor wrote:...Hey, in you're photo you have that "100% electric" on your front bumper...
(sigh), that's off-topic, but here's the reference link:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=620&start=10
That lettering is actually a bit too high up the bumper, but I placed it to cover up the license-plate holes.

Back on-topic, had someone walking by yesterday complain about the glare off that cover. :evil:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

gmarcucio

Re: Sun shade source/ ideas for our huge windshields?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

BillThompsonMIEV wrote:I went to the parts department at my dealer. They ordered one for me for $30.00. Delivery took one week.

Do you happen to have the part # the dealer ordered for you? I went to my dealer and the parts department said they show no such item in parts or accessories from Mitsubishi.

gmarcucio

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I found these to sites online. They don't show it on a MiEV but it clearly states that's what it fits.

http://www.carid.com/2012-mitsubishi-i-miev-sun-shades/

http://www.amazon.com/2012-2013-Mitsubi ... B00C30H2OC

BillThompsonMIEV

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Part # is 500066 M01 76 CP. Manufacturer is www.heatshieldstore.com.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”