Mitsubishi I-Miev Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sun shade source/ ideas for our huge windshields?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 pm 

JoeS wrote:
For less than $10 at the local hardware store I picked up this silver foam-sandwich insulating material (comes in 48" width, any length) and a couple of minutes with a pair of scissors gave me a custom cover. The old lightweight bungie helps hold it down when it's windy. I prefer the external one vs. trying to stuff it into the window inside. ...

I know about that material. Wanted to use it. Perfect for this use IMO.
It's actually more effective to block the sun and heat OUTside the glass the way you're doing than inside with conventional shades.

Problem for me was Lowes only sells tha that stuff in something like 30 foot rolls and Home Depot desn't carry it.. At least not near me.

2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

Last edited by acensor on Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sun Shade.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 am 
Site Moderator

As some of you may have noticed, I merged these two identical topics. Reminder to everyone to search first before starting a new topic.

I purchased my reflective material at a local hardware store chain: Orchard Supply Hardware. They sell by the foot.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 am 

I like that external shield...how about stopping the wipers in mid-stroke, then insert the shield, and let them hold the it down.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Moderator

fjpod wrote:
I like that external shield...how about stopping the wipers in mid-stroke, then insert the shield, and let them hold the it down.
fjpod, I thought it was a great idea and when we parked today I did just that. As I was taking the photo to document it, a gust of wind came by with the following result:

I put my bungie back on... :|

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 am 

JoeS wrote:
fjpod wrote:
fjpod, I thought it was a great idea and when we parked today I did just that. As I was taking the photo to document it, a gust of wind came by with the following result:
(Photo)
I put my bungie back on... :|

Why not just trim it a bit and put it on the inside of the car? That material is flexible enough to fit inside the plastic fascias and dashboard, using the visor to secure the top. I use an extra large SUV sun shade I got from some place many years ago that I have used in several vehicles including a Mazda MPV minivan. I then used it in my Nissan Versa and found it still worked in my i-MiEV. It's made of that same silver foiled bubble wrap.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Moderator

MLucas wrote:
...Why not just trim it a bit and put it on the inside of the car? ...
Thermally, it's perhaps a bit better to keep the sun out completely and not have the heat buildup in the gap between the shade and the glass. Also, for myself, I find it less trouble to put the shade on outside the car, even with the addition of the bungie - the loops in the end of the bungie are permanent, and one can open the door without disturbing its function.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm 
Site Moderator

It's hard to beat the cost, practicality and ease of use of the little $12 WalMart pair of shades. When we stop, she grabs the shades from behind the drivers seat while I roll down each window about an inch. When she flips them open, we each put our single shade on our respective side of the windshield and then exit the car - Total time elapsed is usually in the 10 to 15 second range. Stowing them away when we return and getting underway usually takes about the same

I'm sure there are probably other solutions which may keep the inside of the car a little cooler, but on an average day around town, we regularly run through this drill half a dozen times, so the ease of use just about trumps every other consideration for us

Don

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:18 am 
Site Moderator

Don wrote:
... on an average day around town, we regularly run through this drill half a dozen times, so the ease of use just about trumps every other consideration for us.
Actually, we rarely use ours as we go well out of our way to always park in the shade - even if it means a looong walk (wife claims that's to keep me in shape). ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Moderator

Oh, we park in the shade whenever it's available too, Joe - With the sun nearly directly overhead and not a cloud in the Mississippi sky, even a ten foot tall tree in the Home Depot parking lot (which couldn't properly shade a pedal car) is 'taken' 99% of the time :lol:

Unfortunately, it seems we have about 100 times as many cars as we have shady spots near public parking places, which is why owning a white car is so very important down here - When you see someone driving a black car, you pretty much know they're from out of town . . . . very far out of town!

Don

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 am 

Don wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems we have about 100 times as many cars as we have shady spots near public parking places, which is why owning a white car is so very important down here - When you see someone driving a black car, you pretty much know they're from out of town . . . . very far out of town!

Don

Like up north here. :lol:

We only get about three months of 'hot' weather if you call it that.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next