Sun Shade.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than use a shade on the inside of a windshield, I have found covering all the glass on the outside is far superior. I have used two of these California Pop Top products on my cars; a 2008 Smart and a 2007 Hyundai. Once you put it on and take it off a few times it becomes very easy to do. Even on hot, sunny days it keeps the interior of a car noticeably cooler and block UV rays from the interior.

http://www.capoptop.com

For the i I would use a size M. If there is enough interest it is possible the company would custom make a size specifically for the i.

Seems like a nice fit. Is that all one piece? I wish I could find it online. No Walmarts near me.

It's 2 piece. You can probably get one at any auto store, Target or Khols. That's why I added a picture of the size, figured not everyone would be able to buy the same brand of shade.

Mine are smaller than his (they don't overlap nearly as much in the center) and they 'fold' up into a circle about 9 or 10 inches in diameter and I store them between the console and the passenger seat

Don

I just picked up the same Super Jumbo 2 piece sun shade at Walmart. They have 2 types, the reflective silver and the non-reflective silver, is one better than the other? I'm noticing a bit of heat on the backside of the non-reflective one. Wee John, seems like you got the non-reflective one as well.

oahumiev said:
They have 2 types, the reflective silver and the non-reflective silver, is one better than the other? I'm noticing a bit of heat on the backside of the non-reflective one. Wee John, seems like you got the non-reflective one as well.

I don't like the look and feel of the reflective silver, all of my shades have been the matt silver, I am sure that you will feel excess heat on the back of any shade but the difference it makes to the interior temperature of the car is noticeable.

For the last two weeks temperatures in Wisconsin have been mostly sunny and between 90 and 104 degrees. VERY unusual for this area.

During this time I started using my CA Pop Top sun shades every day. Having 3 cars and a single garage means two cars are out in the sun all day. The difference in interior temperature when using the CA Pop Top versus having all four windows cracked was HUGE. The advantage of this type of sun shade is that it covers all window glass and the entire top of the car. The interior (including seats, dash, steering wheel, etc) stays significantly cooler making it easier for the A/C to cool the car.

I highly recommend these sun shades no matter what type of car or truck you own. The web address is http://www.capoptop.com, the phone #is 661-257-7830 (ask for John) and they are located in Valencia, CA.

There is currently not a custom size for the i, no demand as of now. The pop tops come in a variety of sizes. I would contact John and he can help you pick the correct size. Takes about 2 mintues to install once you done it a few times.

With summer gently coming on here in central southern Oregon it is deceptively mild for now, but I know, unlike chronically overcast Seattle and the coast, we're going to get into some days peaking at 80 to even 100 degrees Fahrenheit with clear sunny skies.

None of the auto parts of big box stores have windscreen sunshades tall enough.
Our windshield is 33 x 50 inches.

Any sources or ideas?
(Wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi has a custom sized one for a mere $195. :roll: )

Edit added:
Just goggled "jumbo car window shades" and found several big enough. :oops:

Alex

We use a $15 reflective silver pair of them that we bought at WalMart for another car. Each panel is 28 by 31 inches and they store in about a 12 inch circle in the pocket behind the seats. In our Mazda, they were used horizontally (wide sides parallel to the ground) but in the iMiEV, they fit the other way, since our windshield it taller than it is wide

They're an absolute necessity down here for 6 or 7 months each year - The passive solar collector Mitsu calls a windshield can heat the interior of the car to seemingly astronomical temps in just a few minutes. Using the sun shades and leaving the front windows cracked an inch or so really makes a huge difference

Don

Don said:
We use a $15 reflective silver pair of them that we bought at WalMart for another car. Each panel is 28 by 31 inches and they store in about a 12 inch circle in the pocket behind the seats. In our Mazda, they were used horizontally (wide sides parallel to the ground) but in the iMiEV, they fit the other way, since our windshield it taller than it is wide
Don

Thanks. Picked up the same ones today.

For less than $10 at the local hardware store I picked up this silver foam-sandwich insulating material (comes in 48" width, any length) and a couple of minutes with a pair of scissors gave me a custom cover. The old lightweight bungie helps hold it down when it's windy. I prefer the external one vs. trying to stuff it into the window inside. Rolls up tightly and sits on the floor behind the seats (I normally keep my back seats down).
MitsiWindowShade1.jpg

MitsiWindowShade2.jpg

Back