Anyone tried wrapping iMiev with glossy vinyl?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry87

Hi all, I am new here and now I drive my iMiev 2016. Now, I love everything about my ev, I know it is not a Bugatti or something. The only thing I dislike is color. It is classic blue, yet it irritates me. See the pic:

And I am not saying anything bad about it, just wanted to say that I dislike it.
Anyways, I have not really thought of a color change until I saw this Honda:

(pic originates from this site - https://www.carid.com/gallery/honda/s2000/)
And I thought that I may just wrap my iMiev with a similar film and it will look sharp. And I even looked through the list of car wraps avail. The only thing I am concerned about is the original body finish. Won't I peel the paint off one day when I decide to get rid of film? Because I've read, that different paints and different films behave in different ways. So I kinda wanted to know what to expect before doing anything, you know. And also, by ev is blue, is that okay if I wrap it with this multi-colored film? won't cops have any questions to me about it? or some docs will be required as long as I change color with this wrap?...
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

If you're truly unhappy with that beautiful blue, I will happily trade you either of my white ones for it. In fact, I've seriously considered painting one of mine that exact color. My wife says "It doesn't need repainting, there's not a scratch on it" but even she agrees it just might be worth $2,500 or so just to get that color

My sister vinyl wrapped her navy blue Mercedes SL350 with some color which made the whole car look a sort of flat grey. She loved it (though she took it off after only a year or so) but to me it made a $50K car look more like a $20K car . . . . but to each his or her own I say. If you like it, go for it. A good job of wrapping isn't cheap and you get what you pay for when you try to save a few bucks. Good luck with it . . . . but personally I'll lament the fact that there's one less beautiful blue iMiEV running the roads

Don

Hey, thanks for replying, Don. You know, last night I watched several youtube videos and this kind of glossy film does not last long. At least that is what people say... And you know, it's even not about the money, but I do not want to pay for wrap and job, which I will have to get rid of in a year, as that chameleo gloss peels off very quickly.
I have not got the quote for the job plus material yet, which I believe I will do on Monday, yet I feel that I will keep the color as it is.
You know, after all good words that you said about the color I looked at my iMiev and now it does not seem that dull to me. You know, white is also not that bad. Though I believe, that small cars have to be bright, otherwise they do not attract attention because of their small size. I used to have Mini, and it was yellow, with the British flag all over the roof, and it looked damn hot!

Larry87 said:
You know, after all good words that you said about the color I looked at my iMiev and now it does not seem that dull to me. You know, white is also not that bad. Though I believe, that small cars have to be bright, otherwise they do not attract attention because of their small size. I used to have Mini, and it was yellow, with the British flag all over the roof, and it looked damn hot!
I agree - Small cars need to be bright or sometimes they're just not seen

When they came out in 2012, all there was for color choices was black (not practical here in the south) the purple color which I thought looked terrible, white and silver. Our previous car had been silver, but a much prettier shade of silver than the one offered on the iMiEV's. That left us with white, which is OK, but it would really have been nice if they had forgot about the purple and black and given us a nice blue and a nice green

The blue first came out on the Canadian models and what a great color for the car! Some cars just look really good in certain colors, and the blue really 'fits' the car, I think. Sure wish it had been one of the original choices

Yellow is one of my favorites as is a nice bright Red, but hard to say what an iMiEV would look like in Red or Yellow. Of the choices we have, your Blue is hands down the best option, IMO. Wish we had one that color

Don

I think the iMiev Blue is really nice! Wish I had one. M wife and I run the park/marker lights during the day on ours. It really makes the cars far more noticeable to other traffic. Doesn't use enough power to be noticeable either.

Aerowhatt

Code:
[code]
[/code]Hello;
About one year ago, I had a vinyl wrap done on my I-Miev. Kolorwerx, here in Portland, Oregon did the wrap, and Kevin did an outstanding job. I could not pick a "favorite color", so I went with pure silver chrome-like.
Several people in parking lots have asked me if this is legal. I am no traffic lawyer, but my understanding is that the manufacturer cannot do a high reflective finish. But a private owner can. Anyway after passing numerous police cars, I have never been stopped.
Now after going through a complete winter (with rain and snow), the vinyl held up very well. This is especially true around the wheel wells. There has been practically no "lifting" of the vinyl. Altogether a nice job. As soon as I learn how to post pics, I'll send one to this thread.
There is never a time where the pure chrome doesn't look beautiful. I am an old pilot, and I always loved the look of polished aluminum. This is just as good. I did it for my own asthetic purpose, not necessarily to draw attention to myself. Women seem to like my car more than men.
Marty
Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

Wrapping%20Done.jpg

Here is an pic taken while the car was being wrapped at Kolorwerks. Notice the attention to detail. Kevin removed the lights, hood, door handles so he could wrap the vinyl into the cavities, and the wrap tight. Nice job. Not cheap.
Marty
Portland, Oregon

Wrapping%2003.jpg

Hi Folks; There's a post earlier in this thread about the longevity of vinyl wraps. I have that shiny silver/chrome colored one mentioned above. I am now going through my third winter here in Oregon - snow and rain (mostly rain). I have had only a little lifting around the front wheel well. Other than that, it's been great. Still looks good. I keep it in an unheated garage, and I love washing it. (I'm weird that way. lol) It always looks great to my eye - rain or shine, day or night.

Since this thread came back, I'll chime in. I will say also, that when I first started looking at i-MiEVs, I originally went for silver but ended up with white once I saw both in person. Now I have one in white and one in silver. Had the 2014/2016 blue been available in 2012, there's no doubt that's the color I would've picked. Having seen one in person, it really fits the car.

I wish Mitsubishi would've brought some of the colors available on "world" i-MiEVs to the North American markets. That alone would've likely doubled sales. As for vinyl, the only experience I have with them is Koorz has dealer-applied MiEV side decals on the doors that have held up well over the last 7 years.

Just went through my 4th winter with the Chrome wrap. All's good. The car is garaged.

Hello;
I love the look of the moons, but the inset of the factory steel wheels do not allow much grabbing of the moon hubcaps. I kept throwing them. (all on the driver's side - interesting). So I swapped them out with factory alloys, then had those powder coated in chrome-like color. Not as cool, but they don't come off now. ha ha.
Marty
Portland, OR

Back