Remote fob range extension?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbW

Has anyone managed to find a hack to extend the usable range of the remote? Or any method for initiating the pre-cool/heat process without using the remote (e.g. cellular hack, networked EVSE, etc.)?

I finally, Finally, FINALLY got my work to install a Chargepoint EVSE. This will be my first winter being able to charge while at work, and I'm very excited. Well, I *was* excited until I realized that the distance from my office building to the Chargepoint EVSE is too far for the iMiEV remote to work. So, I currently am unable to trigger the climate preconditioning via the remote. So, I will be able to leave work at the end of the day with a fully charge battery (Yea!), but I won't be able to preheat my car in the winter (Boo!).

I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to activate climate preconditioning when the remote is too far away? Is there any way to send a signal via a networked Chargepoint EVSE? Or to hook up a cellphone in the car somehow that could relay the signal? Or any way to boost the signal on the remote?

Thanks!

No idea - Maybe take the remote apart and hook it's antenna wire into a 3 foot dish antenna and point that out the window toward the car? :lol:
Not too practical for putting it in your pocket though

But . . . . since you will now always be leaving work with a full charge, getting in and setting it on MAX heat will warm it up pretty darned fast - You may use up 25% of your charge in the first 5 miles, but you'll be warm by then

Don

Don said:
But . . . . since you will now always be leaving work with a full charge, getting in and setting it on MAX heat will warm it up pretty darned fast - You may use up 25% of your charge in the first 5 miles, but you'll be warm by then

True! I'm just so happy that I will no longer need to dress like an Eskimo and avoid using the heat just to make it home in the winter! And when the temperatures really bottom out, I am also now the proud owner of a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan that I can drive to work and stay as comfy warm as I want!

RobbW said:
Don said:

True! I'm just so happy that I will no longer need to dress like an Eskimo and avoid using the heat just to make it home in the winter! And when the temperatures really bottom out, I am also now the proud owner of a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan that I can drive to work and stay as comfy warm as I want!

Plug-in?

So your Pacifica with just 35 EV miles will give you all the heat you want without running the engine? What a car!!

Sometimes I *wish* I lived up north where it snows so I would have a valid excuse to install the little diesel heaters in our iMiEV's to stay toasty warm . . . . . naw - What am I saying!?!? I HATE the white stuff!! :shock:

Don

RobbW said:
Phximiev said:

Yes, it is!!!!!! I only get about 35 all-electric miles, but that's enough for my round-trip commute. We are now an all-EV household!

If we were still in the market for a second EV, the plug-in Pacifica would have been in the running. As it were, none were available in Phoenix at the time so we went with the Volt. On a similar note, between the Pacifica and the up and coming Mitsubishi, IMO the features of the Pacifica outweigh those of the Mitsubishi even with the price differential. Others may differ in their opinion, neh?

Phximiev said:
. . . . IMO the features of the Pacifica outweigh those of the Mitsubishi even with the price differential. Others may differ in their opinion, neh?
But . . . . one of them is made by FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automotive) and , IMO, that tips the scales quite a bit . . . . no?

But . . . . The Pacifica is the most reliable model from the least reliable brand, so I guess there's hope!

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Don

Doing some more Google searching, I found a YouTube video that shows how to double the range on regular key fob remotes. Basically, you remove the single 3V CR2032 battery and replace it with two 3V CR2016 batteries, effectively increasing the power to 6V.

Opening the remote for the iMiEV, I see that it uses (2) 3V CR2032 batteries. So, it is already powered with 6V. If you replaced the (2) CR2032 batteries in the iMiEV's remote with (4) CR2016 batteries, it would effectively double the power to 12V. Two questions:

1). Would this be safe to do in the iMiEV's remote? Or would I risk frying sensitive electronics that could cost hundreds of dollars to replace?
2). Would doubling the power really increase the range of my remote?
3). Would this also increase the remote's sensitivity to receiving signals *from* the iMiEV? Or does this only increase the transmission range of the remote?

Don said:
Phximiev said:
. . . . IMO the features of the Pacifica outweigh those of the Mitsubishi even with the price differential. Others may differ in their opinion, neh?
But . . . . one of them is made by FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automotive) and , IMO, that tips the scales quite a bit . . . . no?
But . . . . The Pacifica is the most reliable model from the least reliable brand, so I guess there's hope!
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/
Don

Yes but; the Pacifica Hybrid release was a fiasco with deliveries stopped more than once, eventually resulting in a Traction Inverter Module replacement for all 2017 models. It tended to blow a diode during high regen, high state of charge conditions. From what I've read, both a part replacement and new software were used in the fix. One dirty little secret that emerged during that episode was that if the electric drive fails, the vehicle will not operate even though the gas engine is perfectly healthy. IIRC, the vehicle also won't operate if the engine throws an error code. Seems that rather than redundancy, the PacHy offers double jeopardy!

I'm waiting and watching the PacHy, will keep our 2000 Odyssey van in service for another year or so...

RobbW said:
Has anyone managed to find a hack to extend the usable range of the remote? Or any method for initiating the pre-cool/heat process without using the remote (e.g. cellular hack, networked EVSE, etc.)?

I finally, Finally, FINALLY got my work to install a Chargepoint EVSE. This will be my first winter being able to charge while at work, and I'm very excited. Well, I *was* excited until I realized that the distance from my office building to the Chargepoint EVSE is too far for the iMiEV remote to work. So, I currently am unable to trigger the climate preconditioning via the remote. So, I will be able to leave work at the end of the day with a fully charge battery (Yea!), but I won't be able to preheat my car in the winter (Boo!).

I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to activate climate preconditioning when the remote is too far away? Is there any way to send a signal via a networked Chargepoint EVSE? Or to hook up a cellphone in the car somehow that could relay the signal? Or any way to boost the signal on the remote?

Thanks!

Considering how expensive those remotes are I’m not sure I’d risk it :)

Seems easier to leave the remote in the car and make some sort of gizmo to push the remote buttons for preheat at a set time. Although that’s hardly trivial.

RobbW said:
1). Would this be safe to do in the iMiEV's remote? Or would I risk frying sensitive electronics that could cost hundreds of dollars to replace?
Yes, you would definitely be risking frying something. Hard to predict what would happen
Adding transmit power would increase the range a bit, but nowhere near doubling it. You might get an extra 15 or 20% at best I would guess. There are many factors which determine the effective range of any device
http://www.electronicdesign.com/communications/understanding-wireless-range-calculations
3). Would this also increase the remote's sensitivity to receiving signals *from* the iMiEV? Or does this only increase the transmission range of the remote?
No, the received signals from the car wouldn't improve any . . . . unless you doubled the voltage of the car's transmitter. Better antennas in both the car and the remote would make the greatest change

If you can plug in the car at work and leave for home with a full pack, using MAX heat for 5 or 10 minutes when you first start the trip home should get you comfy enough that you probably needn't worry too much about preheating it

Don

I would try hanging 4 to 8 feet of wire on the wall and clipping or holding your remote antenna to that while using it. It might be especially effective if you can put the wire in front of a window facing toward you car. How much building is there between you and the garage?

RobbW said:
Opening the remote for the iMiEV, I see that it uses (2) 3V CR2032 batteries. So, it is already powered with 6V. If you replaced the (2) CR2032 batteries in the iMiEV's remote with (4) CR2016 batteries, it would effectively double the power to 12V. Two questions:

This is a type of "overclocking" and a risky business. It's as likely to just damage the electronics as anything. Plus as you noticed it's a two way communication and the overclocking will not effect the remotes ability to receive a confirmation signal.

It's really the car that has a better chance of increasing the remote control range. A better antenna on the car would increase communication distance both directions. Same with the remote an additional antenna for it. With most radio devices you can boost the range without doing any hacking whatsoever, just buy extending the antenna's ability to send and receive weak signals. That said the signals both directions decrease in strength as the square of the distance between them. So the most that can be hoped for with better antennas is doubling the range or less.

WiFi repeater devices do a decent job of extending range. Something similar (but in the right frequency range) could easily triple or quadruple the remotes range. The rub is that you would need one at each end of the required range (more or less). I would research the antenna improvement angle and pursue that avenue as a first choice.

Aerowhatt

Back