Flaps in the front of the car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsantala

Does anyone know what the purpose of these plastic flaps in the front of the car is? Are they there to improve aerodynamics, reduce noise or something else? Do all models have them, including US spec cars? These are on a 2011 C-Zero. See picture in URL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3uth2yijiyqreq/2016-04-06%2015.28.16.jpg

NA Spec has them. They might help aerodynamics in front of the tires, or sacrificial to prevent front bumper curb rash, providing the auditory scraping sound before the paint or tire is impacted.
2016-Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-Front-Bumper.jpg

I believe it's for aerodynamic, though it is pathetically short. The idea is to limit air flow underneath to minimize turbulence. Ideally the damper should cover the entire front to within a few inches, like all the race cars. I plan to install a damper across using lawn edging material. With the iMiev being so short, I just have to train myself not to park just short of the curb. The iMiev underpan is already actually pretty flat, but i think the lower damper still help with the aerodynamic since the rear axle is pretty low. I've added this damper to other ICE vehicles, but it's weird how it made a difference on some but not all. For example, MPG improved on Geo Metro, Corolla but not on the Gen2 Prius, Insight, nor the Odyssey Van.

Lots more info here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/front-air-dam-aba-test-results-7-49-a-27167.html

I think he's showing the "teeth" in KiEV's mouth.

"Improves Smileage."

I'll tell you what those are for. They are going to be the future mounts for cornering/fog lights :cool: . They more than clear any curb I'll come across (I back-in park now anyway), and there's no way to scrape them on the road. I think a pair of LED strips would look pretty good.

Back