Dashboard cupholder adapter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheinr4143

Use of the dashboard cupholders in the iMiEV for any object with a diameter larger than a soda can requires overcoming the dimensional constraints of the 2.5" x 2.5" square opening. An ideal solution which allows use of the front cupholders for large diameter drink bottles is provided by installation of a silicon reduction sleeve. A 3.25 to 2.5 inch reduction sleeve provides a cozy place to grip standard tumblers or nalgene type bottles (see photos below). Cupholder remains completely stock! Silicon material is very sturdy and grips the dash and bottle with zero slippage! Air vents remain open and adjustable during use! Silicon has superb high temperature tolerance for use with hot beverages! Many larger (or smaller) reduction diameters are available to customize the installation! Orange color makes the IMiEV look like the drag racer this sleeve was designed for (not really, but it nicely complements the brown dash color of the SE model)!

3.25" - 2.5" Straight 4 Ply Silicone Intake Intercooler Reducer Coupler Black

s_l1600.jpg
i_Mi_EV_cupholder_adapter.jpg
i_Mi_EV_waterbottle.jpg

sheinr4143, thank you very much for posting this neat accessory! I googled "3.25" - 2.5" Straight 4 Ply Silicone Intake Intercooler Reducer Coupler Black" and came up with a number of them - which one specifically did you get from where?

JoeS - You are very welcome! :D Found the item using an eBay search which links to a speed shop vendor (http://www.getfast1.com/HOS-83063-325--25-x-5-Straight-4-Ply-Silicone-Intake-Intercooler-Reducer-Coupler-Black_p_6073.html).

The dashboard cupholders on the i-MiEV are one of those unique features I find curiously charming, uniquely Japanese and eminently practical. I like having a place for a small beverage at eye level and not down near the shifter, where it’s more likely to get spilled. Since it’s a hot climate here and the air conditioning is on more than not, the cooling vents blowing onto anything holding a cold drink placed up there is actually an asset, so long as it’s not so tall of a container as to block too much of the airflow.

We have some of those brightly-colored kid-friendly small plastic juice cups in the kitchen and I quickly drafted a couple of them into service. The form factor was nearly ideal and they’re unbreakable, but I wanted to replace them with something a little more stylish that would always live in the car. Glass seemed too risky and fragile. Stainless steel is the obvious choice. So the search was on for something of that material that would fit those holders.

Also . . . after we got rid of our minivan and our son went off to college, my wife and I made a pact that her recently purchased Honda Fit wouldn’t become the next dining room on wheels. That also extends to big gulp soda cups or pop-top cans of the same, hot coffee and the like. And, needless to say, no open alcoholic beverages in the vehicles either, for all the obvious reasons beyond spillage.

After my 19 year odyssey with the Saturn, I had also grown tired of coffee-stained carpets, sticky beverage goo on the plastic parts and rotting French fries - or worse - trapped under the seats (much of it from carpooling kids, yes, but enough over the years that I’m also directly responsible for.) It was also going to be very different with the i-MiEV . . . especially since that car’s interior really is in mint condition. So, it’s only water (or plain soda water) that we now drink in our cars, and no open food to munch on until we get home or to another stationary destination. Period.

Back to the stainless steel cups . . . anything that I could find that was the right height invariably was too fat to fit the holders. Tapered cups (the one thing I didn’t like about the plastic ones I had been using) tended to rattle around and not really make the best use of the allotted space. Most of those were too tall anyway. What I was after was a non-tapered cylinder container in the neighborhood of 2.6” (66mm) in diameter by 4.8” (122mm) tall, or about the size of a standard 12oz. aluminum pop-top beverage can. After much searching, what I eventually found was this . . .

amxG8P5.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zack-40081-Mirror-Tumbler-2-56-Inch/dp/B00A9T5AJ8

They’re gorgeous . . . polished metal that almost glows and with an authoritative heft to them. They wouldn’t look out of place inside a Tesla or in an Architectural Digest photo spread. But, yes, at $30 something a piece, they’re hideously overpriced by any stretch of the imagination. I was hoping to find something for about a tenth of this cost, but nothing out there seemed to have that “juuuust right” Goldilocks and The Three Bears form factor and size in stainless steel.

You can find these same cups on European web sites for far less, but the shipping to get them to the US is more expensive than the base price of the product! So I bit the bullet ended up getting two of them domestically on Amazon for the same price as the Euro purchase/shipping deal and they arrived at my front door a few days later.

No regrets going overboard on a couple of metal drinking cups for the car, though. Unlike the i-MiEV’s dedicated and overpriced Enasave tires, drinking cups don’t wear out or require replacing every 10 to 15 thousand miles. And, as you all know, the i-MiEV’s air conditioner is very good, chilling the tops of these metal cups quickly. I fill up my Klean Kanteen with ice water on the way out the door most mornings and I’ve got cold water to pour into stylish pre-cooled metal cups all day long and the car’s air conditioning keeps that way. Life is good, if somewhat uneconomical at times.

Benjamin Nead, i think that you have put more thought into a drinking cup for the i-MiEV than probably all of us combined! Just a cautionary note: one of the precepts of cockpit design, be it airplane or automobile, is the concept of avoiding reflective surfaces. Black matte throughout is preferred.

Those cups look really nice, but I worry about having an open container in the car (especially right now after having had to avoid another driver, on the phone, from driving into the side of me on the highway the other morning :twisted: . Really glad I put a spot mirror in so I could see at a rapid glance if somebody was on the other side of me.).

I currently use (what I estimate is) a 15 ounce Thermos with a brushed aluminum finish. The handle helps it stay perfectly still in the cupholder (I position it so that the handle is nestled in the pocket where the vent is). The airflow from the vents make no difference, as I have poured coffee in it around 8 in the morning and had it still too hot to drink on the way home at 5 PM with it being roughly 40 F in the car, no heat usage.

Overthinking the issue is probably a fairly accurate appraisal, JoeS. :lol: The good news is that the very top edges of these shiny cups is about all you can see from the driver's seat. So glare hasn't really been an issue. As for the open top, PV1, that also hasn't really come up as a problem. I keep the Kleen Kanteen thermos on the floor and refill the cup while in the holder and only while the vehicle is stopped. Once, I over-estimated and had water spilling out over the top, but this was an easy cleanup. But, yes, a real mess if it was coffee or soda pop.

After the warm weather season passes at the end of this upcoming summer, I might go completely Zen and re-purpose these metal cups for growing little Bonsai trees or other diminutive living plants. :ugeek: Stay tuned . . .

Back