After-market rear view camera?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicnote

Has anyone had any luck with after-market rear view cameras? I didn't get the package on the i that included the rear-view camera because I didn't want all the other stuff that came with it. I actually think rear-view cameras should be a mandatory safety feature an all cars. It's also very handy for backing out of San Francisco garages and squeezing into tight parallel parking spaces without scratching up your bumper. I thought I could live without one on a car as small a the i, but after 6 years of using one in my Prius I'm hooked. Any suggestions?

The built-in rear-view camera system in the Leaf provides not only the view but dotted lines providing depth, with the lines shifting as the steering wheel is turned. Very nice! I also opted NOT to get the center display console with my iMiEV as I thought it was overpriced.

In one of my EV Sparrows I have an add-on rear-view camera with the image displayed on the radio screen. It's better than nothing, but provides no depth-of-field information and I am unable to judge just how close I am to a nearby object.

One of the reasons for choosing the iMiEV is it's better all-round visibility than most of the vehicles out there (especially SUVs), and I don't feel a pressing need for a rear-view camera; however, if someone can come up with an add-on which provides a good undistorted view with depth and turning information, I would also be interested.

Of greater interest to me is an add-on side view camera to supplement or replace the driver's-side mirror and its very restricted field-of-view (legally mandated to be flat and not convex). http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/in-defense-of-convex-drivers-side-mirrors/

Hmmm, perhaps the two can be combined into using a single display by the left A-pillar?

JoeS said:
jjlink, do those lines curve when the steering wheel is turned (like in the Leaf), thus showing the predicted vehicle course? That feature within of the rear-view camera system I consider superb.

No, it does not have the curved guide lines like the Leaf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xgtmd8Qmg

Morgan said:
Alas! I have found the part number for the charge port lamp....8390A010. I'm looking into availability of the back up camera as well. Although I'm pretty sure that it is a thing of the past, that doesn't mean you can't find it aftermarket! :)
here is a link to a set of reviews to after market backup cameras:
http://rear-view-cameras-review.toptenreviews.com

The top rated one looks very nice and is likely what I will get if I purchase my iMiev from Morgan.

Come to think of it, if I were a dealer, I would buy these in bulk and offer these to my customers as an in house add-on for any vehicle that did,'t already have this as a factory option. The dealer would make an additional profit and the customer would have the option of a great safety feature. [Morgan: hint hint] :idea:

I've been using different backup cameras for my side view video mirrors, and what I've learned is the really wide angle units "shrink" the image of objects quite a lot, so you need to compensate by having as large a monitor as you can. 7" to 9" are still affordable and if you can install one, then I'd go with it. Also, if you can find a camera with more vertical lines than the run-of-the-mill 234 (or so) that many have, that would also be a good thing. 400 or more would reveal details that would make using it much better.

several backup camera systems can take multiple camers inputs that all feed into the screen.

I wonder if I could mount mildly wide cameras beneath each external rearview mirror and one very wide angle camera near the rea license plate. Then i may be able to rig small switches on the turn signal lever and grear shift so the the left or right camera feed displays automatiaclly when I signal and the rear camera comes on when I reverse.

Seems so obviouse maybethat is already a feature that is built in...

The aftermarket system I used in my car would allow you to do that. I installed my system for less than $100

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2116&hilit=back+up+mirror

The mirror has two inputs - One runs continuously and is over ridden when the other one comes on-line. The back up camera is powered by the reverse lights

No pictures, but my 5 inch screen also has the depth of field grids which aid you in determining how far away you are from what's in the picture. The system works pretty well - The screen in the mirror puts the picture very close to your eyes in our car . . . . only a foot or so away. The only real negative is it's sometimes hard to see due to glare coming from the rear window. Works really well at night with the infa-red LED's in the camera

Don

My iMiEV (in Australia) came with an Eclipse-brand sat nav/stereo but no rear view camera. A camera is available as a direct plug in accessory. It integrated perfectly.
Peter.

Has anyone investigated the possibility that the wiring is already installed in all i's for the back-up (reversing) camera?

I have installed a double din Android stereo (http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509&hilit=radio) in my Peugeot iOn ( a re-badged i-MiEV) and am at the stage of installing a simple camera which will sit nicely in the rear 'number'. It requires both the camera signal (which comes on when the reverse lights come on as the camera power is tapped off that circuit) and a +12V from the same circuit to tell the stereo to switch to camera view. I can route these wires through the car to the stereo but if the wiring is already there it'll save a lot of messing around.

Regards, Martin.

Hello Martin
In the iOn, there is no wiring for a backup cam.
So you will have to pull some wires...
I took the backup signal and the power for the cam from a rear backlight...
2 hours to install the cam and bring back everything to the HU...
Xavier

Don said:
I can confirm that on North American iMiEv's the wiring isn't there . . . . none of it
Don
This isn't the first discovery that a seemingly minor electrical item has been 'de-contented' between the trim levels.
After hoping to no avail that some options might be included but only disabled or hidden, I had guessed there would be one main wiring harness shared by all cars, and only expensive sub-harnesses like the CHAdeMO inlet would be kept out of the base models. Perhaps it's a sign that each car's trim level was specified early on the assembly line, and in keeping with the design theme; there's nothing in there that it doesn't need!

I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera.
Because of the tight space in the lift-gate duct, I decided to go with a wireless transmitter and receiver.
Wired the transmitter to the reverse light: accessed via the side compartment in the back you will find a red wire with blue stripe.
Wired stereo unit to reverse wire by running a wire from unit, behind the glove compartment, down the door, all the way under the back seat; where a red wire with silver dashes: Reverse light wire.
This way the camera will come on any time you pop the car into reverse.

tomp said:
I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera...
tomp, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and description of your installation. Do you have brand and part numbers for your Nav and camera setup? Where did you end up mounting the camera? Are you pleased with the final result and any suggestions for improvement? Maybe some photos? Always interesting to hear about custom i-MiEV mods.

JoeS said:
tomp said:
I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera...
tomp, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and description of your installation. Do you have brand and part numbers for your Nav and camera setup? Where did you end up mounting the camera? Are you pleased with the final result and any suggestions for improvement? Maybe some photos? Always interesting to hear about custom i-MiEV mods.

Hi Joe, thank you..I am glad to be on the forums here.

Here is a punch list of parts I used. I went with a very inexpensive build here, under $250 for everything:

Dash Kit - Works well, not perfect, but cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARAV-11-252-Car-Fascia-Facia-Panel-Plate-Frame-for-CITROEN-PEUGEOT-MITSUBISHI/281882743378?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Harness Cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Car-Stereo-CD-Player-Wiring-Harness-Wire-Aftermarket-Radio-Install/272673940060?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Camera - Mounts on top of License Plate, I brought cable through License plate light (under light between removable light and cutout). It's a serviceable camera, but you can probably find better out there.:
https://www.amazon.com/Lexxson-display-Wireless-License-LHTH002/dp/B072BKT2RD/ref=sr_1_9?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1504112686&sr=1-9&keywords=wireless+backup+camera

Receiver - Great for the price:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-Audio-BV9378NV-Double-DIN-DVD-Player-6-5-Touchscreen-Navigation-Bluetooth/168567376

If photos are valuable I will take some more, or even a video showing how to install. Let me know if that would be helpful.
You will also find my reviews under Tom at amazon and ebay, or Electronicsfan at Walmart, for all the items.

Back