PeterC

Re: After-market rear view camera?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:38 am

My iMiEV (in Australia) came with an Eclipse-brand sat nav/stereo but no rear view camera. A camera is available as a direct plug in accessory. It integrated perfectly.
Peter.

martinwinlow

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 am

Has anyone investigated the possibility that the wiring is already installed in all i's for the back-up (reversing) camera?

I have installed a double din Android stereo (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509&hilit=radio) in my Peugeot iOn ( a re-badged i-MiEV) and am at the stage of installing a simple camera which will sit nicely in the rear 'number'. It requires both the camera signal (which comes on when the reverse lights come on as the camera power is tapped off that circuit) and a +12V from the same circuit to tell the stereo to switch to camera view. I can route these wires through the car to the stereo but if the wiring is already there it'll save a lot of messing around.

Regards, Martin.

priusfan

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello Martin
In the iOn, there is no wiring for a backup cam.
So you will have to pull some wires...
I took the backup signal and the power for the cam from a rear backlight...
2 hours to install the cam and bring back everything to the HU...
Xavier

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 pm

I can confirm that on North American iMiEv's the wiring isn't there . . . . none of it

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

jray3

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Don wrote:I can confirm that on North American iMiEv's the wiring isn't there . . . . none of it
Don

This isn't the first discovery that a seemingly minor electrical item has been 'de-contented' between the trim levels.
After hoping to no avail that some options might be included but only disabled or hidden, I had guessed there would be one main wiring harness shared by all cars, and only expensive sub-harnesses like the CHAdeMO inlet would be kept out of the base models. Perhaps it's a sign that each car's trim level was specified early on the assembly line, and in keeping with the design theme; there's nothing in there that it doesn't need!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 87,000 miles
2012 i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

tomp

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 pm

I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera.
Because of the tight space in the lift-gate duct, I decided to go with a wireless transmitter and receiver.
Wired the transmitter to the reverse light: accessed via the side compartment in the back you will find a red wire with blue stripe.
Wired stereo unit to reverse wire by running a wire from unit, behind the glove compartment, down the door, all the way under the back seat; where a red wire with silver dashes: Reverse light wire.
This way the camera will come on any time you pop the car into reverse.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am

tomp wrote:I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera...
tomp, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and description of your installation. Do you have brand and part numbers for your Nav and camera setup? Where did you end up mounting the camera? Are you pleased with the final result and any suggestions for improvement? Maybe some photos? Always interesting to hear about custom i-MiEV mods.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

tomp

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am

JoeS wrote:
tomp wrote:I have installed an aftermarket double dim stereo with Navigation and backup camera...
tomp, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and description of your installation. Do you have brand and part numbers for your Nav and camera setup? Where did you end up mounting the camera? Are you pleased with the final result and any suggestions for improvement? Maybe some photos? Always interesting to hear about custom i-MiEV mods.

Hi Joe, thank you..I am glad to be on the forums here.

Here is a punch list of parts I used. I went with a very inexpensive build here, under $250 for everything:

Dash Kit - Works well, not perfect, but cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARAV-11-252-Ca ... 2749.l2649

Harness Cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Car- ... 2749.l2649

Camera - Mounts on top of License Plate, I brought cable through License plate light (under light between removable light and cutout). It's a serviceable camera, but you can probably find better out there.:
https://www.amazon.com/Lexxson-display- ... kup+camera

Receiver - Great for the price:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-Audio-B ... /168567376

If photos are valuable I will take some more, or even a video showing how to install. Let me know if that would be helpful.
You will also find my reviews under Tom at amazon and ebay, or Electronicsfan at Walmart, for all the items.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

tomp, thank you for the links. What a great low-cost implementation which almost duplicates the original Mitsu $3K option! No need for a video, thanks, and the links show off the hardware quite well.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kitkit

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 pm

tomp, my wife and I really want to install a back up camera so thanks for the infor and links.
2014 I-miev ES (white); 2016 e-Golf SE (pacific blue); 2010 Mazda 5 GT

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”