magicnote

After-market rear view camera?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

Has anyone had any luck with after-market rear view cameras? I didn't get the package on the i that included the rear-view camera because I didn't want all the other stuff that came with it. I actually think rear-view cameras should be a mandatory safety feature an all cars. It's also very handy for backing out of San Francisco garages and squeezing into tight parallel parking spaces without scratching up your bumper. I thought I could live without one on a car as small a the i, but after 6 years of using one in my Prius I'm hooked. Any suggestions?

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: After-market rear view camera?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 pm

The built-in rear-view camera system in the Leaf provides not only the view but dotted lines providing depth, with the lines shifting as the steering wheel is turned. Very nice! I also opted NOT to get the center display console with my iMiEV as I thought it was overpriced.

In one of my EV Sparrows I have an add-on rear-view camera with the image displayed on the radio screen. It's better than nothing, but provides no depth-of-field information and I am unable to judge just how close I am to a nearby object.

One of the reasons for choosing the iMiEV is it's better all-round visibility than most of the vehicles out there (especially SUVs), and I don't feel a pressing need for a rear-view camera; however, if someone can come up with an add-on which provides a good undistorted view with depth and turning information, I would also be interested.

Of greater interest to me is an add-on side view camera to supplement or replace the driver's-side mirror and its very restricted field-of-view (legally mandated to be flat and not convex). http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/in-defense-of-convex-drivers-side-mirrors/

Hmmm, perhaps the two can be combined into using a single display by the left A-pillar?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

jjlink
Site Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:57 pm

This is the optional Rear View camera on the "i". The lines tell you the distance, which it very useful. I suspect it may be the same as on the Leaf.

Mitsubishi_i_ReadView-Camera by JJLINK, on Flickr
John - 2012 Silver i-MiEV SE model, Jan 19th, 2012 w/OpenEvse, caniOn,& OVMS.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 am

jjlink, do those lines curve when the steering wheel is turned (like in the Leaf), thus showing the predicted vehicle course? That feature within of the rear-view camera system I consider superb.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

jjlink
Site Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 am

JoeS wrote:jjlink, do those lines curve when the steering wheel is turned (like in the Leaf), thus showing the predicted vehicle course? That feature within of the rear-view camera system I consider superb.

No, it does not have the curved guide lines like the Leaf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xgtmd8Qmg
John - 2012 Silver i-MiEV SE model, Jan 19th, 2012 w/OpenEvse, caniOn,& OVMS.

OldGeek

Re: Word directly from Mitsubishi on date of USA 2014 MiEV

Thu May 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Morgan wrote:Alas! I have found the part number for the charge port lamp....8390A010. I'm looking into availability of the back up camera as well. Although I'm pretty sure that it is a thing of the past, that doesn't mean you can't find it aftermarket! :)

here is a link to a set of reviews to after market backup cameras:
http://rear-view-cameras-review.toptenreviews.com

The top rated one looks very nice and is likely what I will get if I purchase my iMiev from Morgan.

Come to think of it, if I were a dealer, I would buy these in bulk and offer these to my customers as an in house add-on for any vehicle that did,'t already have this as a factory option. The dealer would make an additional profit and the customer would have the option of a great safety feature. [Morgan: hint hint] :idea:
Sean
2014 blue iMiev

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri May 16, 2014 12:28 pm

OldGeek, I moved your excellent backup camera post over to this thread, simply because it would have been difficult to find in the future in the 2014 i-MiEV topic.

NeilBlanchard

Mon May 19, 2014 10:02 am

I've been using different backup cameras for my side view video mirrors, and what I've learned is the really wide angle units "shrink" the image of objects quite a lot, so you need to compensate by having as large a monitor as you can. 7" to 9" are still affordable and if you can install one, then I'd go with it. Also, if you can find a camera with more vertical lines than the run-of-the-mill 234 (or so) that many have, that would also be a good thing. 400 or more would reveal details that would make using it much better.
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

OldGeek

Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm

several backup camera systems can take multiple camers inputs that all feed into the screen.

I wonder if I could mount mildly wide cameras beneath each external rearview mirror and one very wide angle camera near the rea license plate. Then i may be able to rig small switches on the turn signal lever and grear shift so the the left or right camera feed displays automatiaclly when I signal and the rear camera comes on when I reverse.

Seems so obviouse maybethat is already a feature that is built in...
Sean
2014 blue iMiev

Don
Site Moderator

Tue May 20, 2014 1:36 pm

The aftermarket system I used in my car would allow you to do that. I installed my system for less than $100

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2116&hilit=back+up+mirror

The mirror has two inputs - One runs continuously and is over ridden when the other one comes on-line. The back up camera is powered by the reverse lights

No pictures, but my 5 inch screen also has the depth of field grids which aid you in determining how far away you are from what's in the picture. The system works pretty well - The screen in the mirror puts the picture very close to your eyes in our car . . . . only a foot or so away. The only real negative is it's sometimes hard to see due to glare coming from the rear window. Works really well at night with the infa-red LED's in the camera

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”