Single->Double Din Radio, Rear Camera, USB/Aux, Mic Install

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howieb

I'm starting this thread to document my experience installing these things. They are not installed yet. I haven't even started. I'll probably get going on it later next week. I also thought I could use this thread to ask a few questions and get some advice before and during the install. I do have some questions :D

I'm planning to install the rear camera in the same location that I believe the stock camera is installed, under the trunk lid overhang to the right of the license plate. It looks like there's an outline of a cutout there. The camera I'll be installing is surface mounted, and requires a hole. That seems to be plastic material back there, but I won't be sure what's above it until I remove the trunk trim.

It looks like it's just a couple of screws around the center brake light, and then a bunch of plastic rivets. Is that true?

I thought I would route the wires up through the rubber channel that connects the top right part of the trunk lid into the car, and then... Should I go passenger side or driver side? I do have to grab a backup light wire on the way... That's probably right near where the camera will be installed. Eventually the wires will end up at the radio in the center console. Thoughts?

The USB/Aux unit I have is in a 1" round socket that can be panel mounted. It will protrude a little bit, and comes with a cover, that if I want to use will make it protrude even more. I'm not planning to use the cover, since I'll have my phone plugged in most if not all the time. I thought to install this by drilling a hole on the opposite side of the panel where the passenger seat heater switch is installed. I'm assuming at least for now there are no obstructions back there, but I'll need to take off the panel to look. Which brings me to my next question(s).

PV1 had some great instructions for removing door panels, and there were also instructions from Plankton for removing the radio trim. I couldn't find information about removing other panels, like the floor panels that run along the side, the cargo panels, the lower dash panels, and maybe the front pillar (to run a microphone wire). If anyone can point me to these, or provide some instructions I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to start breaking the panel attachments.

Camera: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271500640698?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT/url&rmvSB=true

Radio/Mic: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jqrPtzxJ4p5/p_130X360BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X3600BHS.html

USB/Aux: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAIEAUM/?tag=myelecarfor-20&?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00/url

Trim: http://xtrons.com/index.php/raido-facia-for-peugeot-ion-ev-mitsubishi-i-miev-citroen-c-zero-stereo-dash-fascia-kit-panel-trim.html

PV1, the light installation you did was really cool, but I want to tackle this first... I really want my bluetooth. Oh, and since Sirius has a "free" (after rebate) receiver, I'm going to get one of those and hook it up (meaning I need to install the antenna too, probably on the front of the dash), and maybe try it out.

Do you NEED the camera ?
I think if you lean back a little while looking over your shoulder, you can see the back bumper HAHHAHAH

Too bad you couldn't just take mine. I don't need it and don't use it. Kinda wish there was a way to disable it.

I think there were 2 people here that did install a different radio's and tablets.

If you need to see how the USB is done on the 'i' and you can't figure it out on the manual. Mine has it and you can look around to see how they have it installed.

I certainly don't need the camera, but I've been driving a car for the last 11 years that has backup sensors, and my wife's car now has a camera, which comes in handy. I wanted something, and I thought the camera would be the least obtrusive and easiest to install.

Why does it bother you so much if you're looking out the back window?

The interior panels are very easy to remove. The center piece near the hatch pin is the first to come off. This one is also tricky, as there are clips on the far ends of it that I've managed to break off completely. Maybe Siai47 can chime in on how to properly remove it. Everything else came out without any problems.

The panels I removed to run the wires include the lower plastic in the cargo area on both sides, the sill plates at all four doors, and the center piece in the back. The trim way up front on the floor can simply unhook from the door jamb and swivel on the rivet once the will plate is removed.

The route I'd go is definitely along the floor under these pieces to avoid any airbags. The trim pieces on the mid pillars don't need removed, as the wires can slip between it and the floor. Don't try to remove any rivets holding the headliner in. The rear light connectors can be found behind the black trim in the cargo area. If you've read my thread on adding the lights, there is a picture showing the connectors. Routing wires from the floor up to the dash is very easy.

I didn't mess with any of the pillar pieces.

howieb said:
PV1 had some great instructions for removing door panels, and there were also instructions from Plankton for removing the radio trim. I couldn't find information about removing other panels, like the floor panels that run along the side, the cargo panels, the lower dash panels, and maybe the front pillar (to run a microphone wire). If anyone can point me to these, or provide some instructions I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to start breaking the panel attachments.
I installed a similar Pioneer receiver. Love the touchscreen, and it connects with my iPhone to play radio apps and for hands free mobile phone. I mounted the microphone on the steering column and ran the wire under the dash.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509&p=18503&hilit=pioneer#p18503

RobertC said:
I mounted the microphone on the steering column and ran the wire under the dash.

Does it pick up the passenger well from there? That would be way easier than trying to get it up high.

howieb said:
RobertC said:
I mounted the microphone on the steering column and ran the wire under the dash.
Does it pick up the passenger well from there? That would be way easier than trying to get it up high.
Yes. The microphone picks up the passenger well mounted on the steering column, and sounds even better from the driver's seat since you are speaking directly into it.

First update...

I'm not going to use the center panel trim piece that I bought for $60. It doesn't seem to fit too well, or I just don't know what I'm doing. The piece came with loose clip holders, and the trim piece itself has attach points for the clip holders. I think the expectation is that you remove the actual clips from the removed trim piece, and put them on the new trim piece. I didn't get that far as it seemed even if I had the clips on the new trim piece, it wouldn't fit as well against the dashboard as I would like. So I ordered a black OEM trim piece. Here are a few pics that explain how (I think) this trim piece works. If you installed a new trim piece, how did yours work?

This is the trim with the interchangeable clip holders unattached...
2015-06-02%2014.56.10-L.jpg

This is the clip holder for attaching angled hole...
2015-06-02%2014.57.27-L.jpg

This is the clip holder for attaching to the horizontal hole (like the original trim came out of)...
2015-06-02%2014.57.03-L.jpg

This shows the angled hole, and also the large gap between the trim and the dash, granted the clips are not installed and attached...
2015-06-02%2012.15.37-L.jpg

This is how the sliver trim looks with the black. Fits pretty well down there...
2015-06-02%2012.15.27-L.jpg

The other issue is installing the rear camera. I took off the hatch trim to see what was under there, and the piece that I want to install the camera into is a plastic piece, the one on the hatch that has the logo, that's attached with these white clips. Does anyone know the best way to remove this? Pop out the white rivets from behind with a screwdriver? Will the piece really pop back into place later? Do these clips need to be squeezed to be removed? It looks a lot like they are friction fit, but it's hard to tell.

2015-06-02%2014.30.32-L.jpg

How does the piece fit if you take off the top-center clip and use the top clips on either side instead?

PV1 said:
How does the piece fit if you take off the top-center clip and use the top clips on either side instead?

It does fit better that way, though I think I do want the black trim. I did order the OEM black trim, so I will sell this silver trim when I receive the OEM. PM me if you are interested.

The stereo needs to be at a steeper angle. I think when I'm ready to put the trim on after everything is really installed, I'll put a wedge underneath to raise it up.

I think I may have broken off the lower right clip holder inside the dash. I heard something kind of pop and fall inside the dashboard. I looked inside the holes but couldn't really see anything. If I can't repair it, I suppose I'll use some caulk or something to secure that side.

I also need to cut down the top of my trim ring, which if installed seems to restrict the height of the stereo under the trim. Several pictures below. All I did so far was install the stereo and connect the antenna. Still to go: camera installation, usb/aux, and satellite. By the way, my car has rear speakers installed from the factory.

Using only the factory brackets and without a wedge...
2015-06-02%2017.29.48-L.jpg

Holding up the stereo...
2015-06-02%2017.31.48-L.jpg

Clips that I needed to transfer from the original trim to the replacement trim...
2015-06-02%2017.42.21-L.jpg

Gap not looking so bad now...
2015-06-02%2017.31.33-L.jpg

Give me enough time and...

It is the white wire, as I suspected, which connects to the red wire with blue strip that runs to the lamp itself.

Just to bring you up to date, I have the camera physically installed, but either I have a bad video wire, or I messed up one of the connectors trying to run the wire. If that's the case, I think I'll have to run a wire sans connectors, and solder on the connectors after it's run. There's one spot that is a bear to get the wire with connector through, and that's the rubber conduit that runs from the top of the hatch to the body. You need to be especially careful because the rear washer fluid tube runs through there too. At least if I have to run a new wire I can use the existing wire to draw it through. Here's some pictures...

Here's a little tool I made to get the plastic trim piece off to drill for and mount the camera. This perfectly compresses the rivets and they pop right out. It worked well for those easy to reach, but it was hard to get it to the ones that were more difficult. So I made a longer one, and when I went to use that one, discovered I needed some leverage. Then I had one of those "Doh!" moments, when I realized the trim removal tools I bought on Amazon (which do come in handy) has a perfectly sized hole that must be just for this purpose! If you don't have a tool, a 7/32 inch hole works well.
2015-06-04%2008.13.00-L.jpg

I made an "error" in the installation, fortunately easy to correct. I don't have any idea what I was thinking, but for some reason I was thinking the license plate lights were the backup lights. Well... They were right there! I realized my error as soon as nothing happened when I went into reverse. I turned on the lights to confirm. Now that I've realized my error, I have to run at least one additional wire through the same circuitous route to the backup light. I'll probably run power and ground.

I broke a few clips... The outer clips on the center rear trim in the cargo area, which are actually part of the trim piece, not separate clips, are pretty lame and broke right off. I also lost one of the clips when putting back the tan seatbelt trim piece in the left rear cargo area. These seem easy to replace.

Here's several pictures from the (not yet completed) installation...
2015-06-04%2008.37.30-L.jpg

2015-06-04%2008.36.32-L.jpg

2015-06-04%2008.42.03-L.jpg

2015-06-04%2009.55.25-L.jpg

2015-06-04%2010.04.44-L.jpg

2015-06-04%2011.11.13-L.jpg

howieb said:
I broke a few clips... The outer clips on the center rear trim in the cargo area, which are actually part of the trim piece, not separate clips, are pretty lame and broke right off.
Yep, I did the same thing. I wonder if that was made the way it is on purpose :roll: .

That blue paint is really pretty.

Finally done! I had to route a new video cable because the one that came with the camera died during the installation... Ran a wire only (much easier) and then soldered a connector on after it was at the front seat. Also had to run extension wires for power to the camera, since the ones that came with the camera were not long enough (neither was the video cable). Pictures...

What a mess...
2015-06-05%2011.43.54-L.jpg

Microphone on top of the steering wheel, wire run behind the dash...
2015-06-05%2016.41.33-L.jpg

This was the best place I could find for the USB/Aux, and I didn't have to remove any trim pieces (because I'm almost sure I would have broken those rivets). I was a little worried about the location, but it in no way interferes with my leg/foot.
2015-06-05%2016.40.18-L.jpg

I'm not that pleased with the camera. Nothing like the 170 degree view claimed, and not as good as my wife's Civic. I may look for another one like it. As you can see, I can't even see the edges of the bumper. I'll have to measure the angle when I have some help.
2015-06-05%2016.42.23-L.jpg

Here's where I mounted my phone... I'm pleased with this mount, but it has sticky stuff on the suction cup that make it hard to remove/move.
2015-06-05%2016.40.01-L.jpg

PV1 said:
That blue paint is really pretty

Yeah, I wasn't sure about it, but I really love it. I mentioned that the car had some scratches when I first got it, probably when the transport truck went under some tree branches. I brought the car into a place in Cambridge MA, Dad's Auto Detailing. He also said that the car was full of sap, which could be felt, but not really seen. He did a really great job, removing the scratches ($100) and detailing the exterior (an additional $150), more than half paid by the transporter. When I picked up the car, he had David Ortiz' (Big Papi) white Land Rover, which he was finishing up so he could deliver it to Fenway.

Looks nice.

Let me know when you figure out how to put in a new and better sprayer for the wipers !

This is something I need to do as the passenger wiper get NO liquid and is going to scratch the windshield in our Fall Winter months

Back