Adding inside the car a gas generator (Quebec, Canada)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpif

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to add inside the i-miev 2014 at the back a gas generator?
I want to do that, so i can heat more the car, cause in winter the heating system isn't enough.
I tried with a battery and fan heater but it is not enough. I got a silent powerhouse generator,surely i can place it inside with a hose of exhaustion.

Thanks in advance for your enlightning.

Hi Jpif
Welcome to the group here. We have several members here from Quebec

We have some long and detailed posts here on heating and some of us have added
ethanol/diesel heaters to help[ in winter conditions .
Not only do you get comfortable warm passenger cabin, you also extend your driving range in cold winter temperatures by 30 to 40 %

Here is a link to one of the posts
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1248

I just did some extreme cold weather testing using our diesel heater and will be posting the results soon.

Thanks Sandage for the info.

But for now, I would really like to know if someone did it with a gas generator inside the car at the back.
Surely someone tried?

Hi jpif,

I dont think anyone has done this for a few reasons:

As far as i know there is no way to charge and run the car at the same time.

I think running a generator inside the car might have problems even if you get the exhaust safely out of the car. It needs air to run. Probably safer to add a trailer hitch or roof rack and run it outside. You could alway power a 120 v heater from the generator for winter heat.

I did lots of experiments some with a camping propane heater in the car. I put in a video link to my first winter experience with the imiev.

In april 2014 i installed a diesel heater and this is the real answer to winter operations of the miev when its very cold. My youtube channel has a few videos of the diesel heater also.

Let us know what you try to do to get more heat for the winter.

Don.....

http://youtu.be/5h7i1GqZueU

DonDakin said:
I think running a generator inside the car might have problems even if you get the exhaust safely out of the car. It needs air to run. Probably safer to add a trailer hitch or roof rack and run it outside. You could alway power a 120 v heater from the generator for winter heat.
I agree - Not a safe idea. At the very least, you would have to allow outside air into the car to replace the oxygen the generator would be consuming and that outside air will be COLD! - Counterproductive if you're trying to use the generator to heat the car

Don

Back