Replacing Filament Running Lights With LED Bulbs

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinwinlow

Hi,

Quick run down on the pros and cons:-
Pros:- Much cleaner, white light which arguably makes you stand out a bit more and therefore safer
Uses less power, 0.2A/2.4W @ 12.0V (bench PSU) Vs 1.2A/14.4W for the original bulbs (each - tho didly-squat
compared to the 10kW+ the motor uses!)
Hip!
Cons:- A bit of a faff to fit

Cost UK£16 but you may be able to find them cheaper.

Tools required:- No 2 Phillips screwdriver/power driver
(Depending on the bulb - file/sandpaper/bench grinder)

Put the steering all the way over to one side to access each bulb in turn - or, ideally, remove the front wheels.

Remove the light cluster cover.

IMG_2926.jpg

Right hand side with cover removed - about 6 Phillips screws - they are plastic and are rivet-like in their function…
IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Standard bulb…

LED%20running%20light%20bulbs.jpg

The bulb required is a 'P13W' type…

Unfortunately, the LED bulb was slightly oversized and the top would not go through the reflector hole. I ended up using a bench grinder to carefully reduce the diameter of the top, circular PCB. A file or even some sand paper would do. It was only about 1 mm too wide.

IMG_2932.jpg

Comparison…

I got mine from ebay seller urmodbase - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-LED-SMD-P13W-PSX26W-White-Fog-Lamp-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-Lamps-Bulbs-Car-/151311255954?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:IE:1123

Just make sure they are the right diameter (18mm max) and the output should be around 2.4W for bright lights. I bought a pair of cheep (UK£5) alternatives from China as well (just for the hell of it) and they had half the output and didn't fit either.

MW

Do the Euro cars have the same running light/fog log setup we have on the North America cars? I'm wondering if your mod would work in our running lights?

Don

My understanding is that they are identical - just 4" less between the light fittings on the Asian/Euro versions thna US ones. They are not monitored by the CAN bus either, so no issues with warning lights etc.

Looking at your picture of the rear of the light assembly, it appears maybe the extra length of your LED replacement bulb might interfere with the light pattern of the Fog light bulb. It would be interesting to remove and install that long LED stack while the fog lights are on to see if there is any interference

Maybe this shorter version would be a better choice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-P13W-13-SMD-5050-LED-SMD-Fog-Lights-DRL-Chevy-Camaro-Super-White-12V-/261199537081?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd0b4a3b9&vxp=mtr

Don

jray3 said:
Thanks Martin and Don, I've ordered the lamp that Don found, will post results.
jray3, you beat me to it. I, too, am interested in knowing how that LED lamp turns out, especially it's brightness compared to the OEM filament light. Perhaps measure its current draw on the bench and compare to the OEM bulb?

JoeS" Perhaps measure its current draw on the bench and compare to the OEM bulb?[/quote said:
Shucks, and I though that my plan to report lumens at different distances would be cool! :idea: Yes sir, I'll measure the amps as well....

I tried several new options. Some wouldn't fit at all. Most would almost fit. None fit properly. Most had intermittent solder joint failures after a few month. None used the reflector housing properly. Much of the light goes straight up. I still recommend waiting until we found a quality DRL replacement that fits properly.
Posted: Thu Oct 17 said:
siai47 said:
The daytime running light is a pain ... these LED's are mixed at best as to fit and quality with many early failures ...
+1
I agreed. The DRLs measured 32 Watts. That's not much, but they are on a lot.

The P13W LED replacement bulbs I got didn't fit in the MiEV DRL reflector mounts. The base PCB of the "corn cob" at the connector was too big. I had other G4 type LED bulbs and connected them to the old P13W connectors (with the bulbs removed). The one Watt each replacements were dim, but the two Watt each LED replacements were almost a bright as the original DRL bulbs, and I liked the color better. That worked, but I don't recommend it.

I recommend waiting until we found a quality DRL replacement that fits properly.

Yes, even though the LED modules I bought on eBay were did not fit. I persuaded the lap housing to accept them with the help of my Dremel 8220 tool and a #115 cutting bit. Yes the 3 LEDs on the end of the module do point up at an angle; I am still pleased with the brighter results. See the difference in the photos below.

1uo6KYD

1tJ7KRW

1v4OKVu

1u3ds4I

Of course if someone can find LEDs that fit and don't point upwards in the mount it would be great. For now I'm glad I did it.

What modules did you buy, what exactly did you trim to make them fit (the light modules, the light housings or both?) and what's your opinion as to whether the bigger light modules will interfere at all with the light output of the fog lamps?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Don

Don said:
What modules did you buy, what exactly did you trim to make them fit (the light modules, the light housings or both?) and what's your opinion as to whether the bigger light modules will interfere at all with the light output of the fog lamps?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Don

I bought these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-15W-High-Power-SAMSUNG-2835-SMD-LED-P13W-PSX26W-Projector-Foglight-Bulb-DRL-/361108909038?vxp=mtr

I ask the eBay seller before buying them and they said 18mm diameter. But they would not fit through the silver reflector hole on the back of the lamp housing. The Silver reflector hold is a bit smaller that the lamp mounting socket. So I just made the reflector hold as big as the plastic hole for the lamp mount and then they fit. Using the Dremil tool I opened the hold up until the bulb would go in. Now they mount the exact same way as the old bulbs and I could put the old bulbs back in if I ever want to. Or if we find some LED modules with LEDs on the sides and none on the top I could use switch to them.

I'm curious about the length of the LED modules and what that does to the fog light pattern, if anything

I haven't taken the fog light/DRL units apart, but the LED's look to be longer than the OEM incandescent bulbs - Does this put them in the way of the light emitted by the fog lights? I wouldn't want to do anything to the DRL's which make my fog lights less effective

Don

Don said:
I'm curious about the length of the LED modules and what that does to the fog light pattern, if anything

I haven't taken the fog light/DRL units apart, but the LED's look to be longer than the OEM incandescent bulbs - Does this put them in the way of the light emitted by the fog lights? I wouldn't want to do anything to the DRL's which make my fog lights less effective

Don

If you look closely at the picture of the LED bulb in the housing you can see there is a reflector behind the daylight driving light bulb (or LED module in this case) which stands at least a good 1/4 inch above the top of the LED module and is about even with the sides of the LED module. So my guess is it will not interfere with the fog light at all. Note that the bulb or LED module is not vertical; it tilts out towards the front of the housing.

Now someone tell me why is there a hole down at the bottom of the light? If you remove the light housing like I did you can see there is nothing behind it. Is this a leftover from the ICE version of the car?
1u3ds4I

Now someone tell me why is there a hole down at the bottom of the light? If you remove the light housing like I did you can see there is nothing behind it. Is this a leftover from the ICE version of the car?
I always thought that was an adjustment. Every i and i-MiEV I've seen has it, IIRC. Not sure why it would be on the re-designed NA model if there's nothing behind it. It's an entirely different bumper from other models.

I wish there was a simple, easy to get to adjustment for the low beam headlights - Mine could be raised just a tad and I could see lots further down the road

Don

Don said:
I wish there was a simple, easy to get to adjustment for the low beam headlights - Mine could be raised just a tad and I could see lots further down the road

Don

There is one. At least on my C-zero but I doubt your headlight is much different.

You need to open the hood. Then on the upper-inner side of the headlight there is a channel for a screwdriver to go in. there's a screw in there.

If you can't find it I'll post a pic.

I had to adjust mine as they were shooting way too low, even with the height setting set at it's maximum at the dashboard.

Back