i-MiEV cargo cover

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hippie403 said:
A little something my wife and I cooked up to feel safer hauling stuff around with the rear seats folded: http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~gjo/imiev/

Nice! Would you/she make me one? Pay you of course.
Bet enough folks here would want one and be willing to pre-order so you could do a mass cut of several fabric pieces at a time and get some efficiency of scale.

Had a friend who accidentally ended up creating a lucrative business with what started as a "would you make one for me" request.

Alex

peterdambier said:
That broomstick in your trunk is it a range extender?

You do get me ideas, with the cover, not the stick. :lol:

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Yes hybrid powered by Harry Potter, you should see my RR figures!

acensor said:
Hippie403 said:
A little something my wife and I cooked up to feel safer hauling stuff around with the rear seats folded: http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~gjo/imiev/

Nice! Would you/she make me one? Pay you of course.
Bet enough folks here would want one and be willing to pre-order so you could do a mass cut of several fabric pieces at a time and get some efficiency of scale.

Had a friend who accidentally ended up creating a lucrative business with what started as a "would you make one for me" request.

Alex

No, sorry my wife doesn't enjoy sewing canvas, it's a bit tough on her domestic sewing machine LOL.

Since there is some interest we will post the dimensions and details of construction. Of course the North American cars
are wider so some adjustments will be required.

Maybe someone will be inspired to come up with a better design.

Thanks for posting additional details about your innovative cargo cover. Prior to reading about your design, I had considered looking for a blackout window shade that's as wide as our cargo area. I would mount the window shade spring roller on the front seat headrests as you have done and attach the bottom of the window shade just below the rear hatch window using a couple of easily opened latches similar to your marine clips. I envision that opening the rear hatch would cause the window shade to unroll from its spring roller lifting the shade a bit in the process which would aid in loading/unloading cargo. When the hatch is shut, the spring roller would roll up some the window shade thus keeping it taut. Disconnecting the window shade from the hatch would allow it to roll up completely on the spring roller. The spring roller could also be mounted on the rear seat headrests when the rear seats are being used to make a short cargo cover. Maybe I'll look into this further…

The roller blind idea sounds great. We were in a rush to get something sorted so the car
was ready for the weekly shopping run. We have a proper cargo barrier in our ICE station wagon
and felt a bit exposed to flying shopping in the i-MiEV.

Back