Electronic sound to alert pedestirans

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBugatti

Any ideas about how to turn off the sound the car makes when it is in movement. It sounds like a speaker. If we knew where itis coming from we might be able to introduce some more interesting sounds! :mrgreen:

Our car has never made this sound since the day we picked it up, so obviously there is some way to turn it off . . . . but I don't know how it was done. I'm glad ours doesn't make the noise . . . . if it did, turning it off would have been our first 'mod'

When you figure out how to make it go away, post it here . . . . I'm sure others will be interested

Don

VBugatti,
You are correct, there is a device that looks like a speaker in the front right side of the i.
I am NOT suggesting this be done for safety reasons so do it at your own risk but.....
You would start by taking off the top/inner plastic liner in the right front wheel well under the car.
The speaker is located there facing the right tire.
There is a push on clip type wire connector that when removed will disable the sound. It's a bit tricky to get unclipped but it does come off.
Put electrical tape on the two mating connections to keep water and dirt out.
QUIET

Don said:
Our car has never made this sound since the day we picked it up, so obviously there is some way to turn it off . . . . but I don't know how it was done. I'm glad ours doesn't make the noise . . . . if it did, turning it off would have been our first 'mod'
Don

Although the sound is a bit annoying at times, I think it is very useful as a safety issue. In parking lots, I'd much rather have a pedestrian hear me coming from behind rather than always having to beep my horn. Also, when reversing out of parking spots, helpful to let pedestrians know a car is backing out. Not sure if any other current EV's come equipped with AVAS but I can see its benefit in pedestrian filled cities of Japan which is probably why our US model came equipped with it.

Don said:

When you figure out how to make it go away, post it here . . . . I'm sure others will be interested

Don

I've never heard my car make the noise either. I don't even know what it supposed to sound like. I've had friends drive my car while I stood outside of it to see what it was like, nothing. Wasn't sure if it came on at a certain time or what but I didn't have any error on the display either, not sure if I should or not. Then I noticed I could easilly sneak up on people, I've had people casually walk through a parking lot unaware that I was right behind them. My car was a demo, I'm wondering if they turned it off because it annoyed people on the sales floor when they were taking it out for test drives where it was parked in the cardboard i MiEV display stand.

My car was a dealer demo too - It had almost 400 miles on it when we bought it. I think you may be right . . . . if it had made the noise (whatever it sounds like) when used on demo drives, people may have been less likely to buy one??

The AVAS 'idiot light' flashes on before we start the car, so it's not malfunctioning . . . . I suspect someone just pulled one of the wires off the speaker

Don

I really like the artificial space-ship sound our iMiEV puts out, BUT I wish I had manual control over the darn thing to be able to turn it off unless needed as all-to-often people think that is the real noise our silent EV puts out. Unfortunately, a federal law was passed which mandates noisemakers on EVs and hybrids (but not silent ICEs) :evil: - I don't know what this law's implementation status presently is.

I would also like to have a volume control on our space-ship sound as many times (e.g., in parking lots) I'd like it to be much louder! I even carry a child's tooting bulb horn in the driver's cupholder that I sometimes resort to by sticking out the window, a carry-over from my other EVs. Amazing how oblivious to their surroundings people have become, especially when walking and texting...

If all else fails, there's the normal horn, but I also wish that was manually selectable like the old French cars: a city horn and a country horn.

JoeS said:
I really like the artificial space-ship sound our iMiEV puts out, BUT I wish I had manual control over the darn thing to be able to turn it off unless needed as all-to-often people think that is the real noise our silent EV puts out.

JoeS said:
I would also like to have a volume control on our space-ship sound as many times (e.g., in parking lots) I'd like it to be much louder!

JoeS said:
If all else fails, there's the normal horn, but I also wish that was manually selectable like the old French cars: a city horn and a country horn.
Sounds like several good projects ahead :)

Hi all,

I also like the slow speed sound and I find it usefull. Even for myself when backing into the garage. The aural give you a good sense that the car is energized and ready to go. Since the car has a creep mode I think the sound is really important. As much as I am a fan of modding things I will leave this sound intact.

Don...

JoeS said:
I really like the artificial space-ship sound our iMiEV puts out . . . .
Can you post an audio clip, Joe? I'd love to hear what it sounds like . . . . not something from the Jetson's I hope! :shock:

Don

The audio sound is a low frequency almost like a hum noise. You really can't hear the noise unless you are basically standing in front of the vehicle. IF you are actually hearing the noise from within the vehicle, I would suggest taking it to your local dealer if it bothers you. Preowned bought or brand new. If you do happen to get some audio samples off the different noises, send them this way!

I am not sure that I am able to hear the AVAS on my very early i-MiEV. At first, I wondered whether it was not implemented on early i-MiEV's, but it is mentioned in my owner's manual. Then I noticed the AVAS MIL illuminate when I turn on the ignition, so I doubt that the MIL would be activated if there was no AVAS.

I do hear what sounds like a low constant humming at low speeds that's distinct from the momentary vacuum pump sound. But to me, this sound could just be the electronics or motor humming although the pitch doesn't seem to change with speed. Tonight, when I pulled into my parking space, I noticed that the hum stopped when I applied the brake to stop (below 2 mph). So maybe that humming is the AVAS. If so, it seems so quiet that I wonder whether it could be heard above ambient traffic noise.

The noise that sounds like a electric tram (low hum) is the AVAS. Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System. A US regulation for electric cars to warn pedestrians that a car is approaching. Operational in D, Eco, B or R ranges. To hear it with the car standing still, park next to a wall to reflect the sound back, apply the parking brake, put the vehicle into D range and let off the brake pedal. This sound is design to stop when the brake pedal is applied or when the vehicle reaches a certian speed because tire noise will be louder.

Now, can anyone design or over write the system to have it emit a sound the car used on the Jetsons?

If all else fails then just a CD with a sound bite in the radio.

A function test of the system is available. No tools required. It's really loud and will likely scare bystanders next to the car.

alohart said:
At first, I wondered whether it was not implemented on early i-MiEV's, but it is mentioned in my owner's manual. Then I noticed the AVAS MIL illuminate when I turn on the ignition, so I doubt that the MIL would be activated if there was no AVAS.
Mine doesn't make any sound (it's dead quiet when moving at slow speeds) but the dash indicator light does illuminate when starting the car - I suspect someone at the dealership just pulled the wire off the speaker, so the car doesn't know the AVAS is inop

Don

Don said:
Mine doesn't make any sound (it's dead quiet when moving at slow speeds) but the dash indicator light does illuminate when starting the car - I suspect someone at the dealership just pulled the wire off the speaker, so the car doesn't know the AVAS is inop
The AVAS sound is so innocuous that I would doubt that anyone would find it so annoying that they would go to the trouble of disconnecting its speaker. I'd be surprised if disconnecting the speaker wouldn't make the AVAS MIL illuminate as well.

I agree with JoeS in that I'd like to be able to boost the AVAS volume on demand because I really doubt that it can be heard over background traffic noise typical in many urban environments.

I have thought of a computer voice counting down from 10 to zero and then a jet engine - on a cd in the radio :D

Our does make the sound and I took it for an engine sound at first.

Don said:
JoeS said:
I really like the artificial space-ship sound our iMiEV puts out . . . .
Can you post an audio clip, Joe? I'd love to hear what it sounds like . . . . not something from the Jetson's I hope! :shock:

Don
Frankly, it does sound a lot like theJetsons noise

"......I really like the artificial space-ship sound our iMiEV puts out...."

Now if Mitsubishi had real customer savvy and let us download tones for the under 22mph artificial sound, or if we could tap into that little speaker, we could have some REAL fun, like occasionally opting to sound like a Harley or Masserati . ;)

JoeS said:
Don, I never got around to recording our iMiEV's AVAS. Not to worry, our NHTSA is hard at work keeping us safe (with sounds you can click on) ...
Is it just me, or do those sound clips all sound identical (nothing but background noise)?

I've come to the conclusion that people can't hear the i-MiEV, AVAS or not. They notice the car if I tap on the brake pedal because of the mechanical noise. I'm tempted to either put a switch on it, or most likely just unplug it.

Here's the sound of AVAS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-49r6yvfk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back