acensor

Re: Electronic sound to alert pedestirans

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:28 am

PV1 wrote:Is it just me, or do those sound clips all sound identical (nothing but background noise)?

I've come to the conclusion that people can't hear the i-MiEV, AVAS or not. They notice the car if I tap on the brake pedal because of the mechanical noise. I'm tempted to either put a switch on it, or most likely just unplug it.

Here's the sound of AVAS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-49r6 ... ata_player

I suspect the sound clips sound like not much of anything because for starters it's not very loud and it dies sound a bit like a background noise, and recorded un professionally, and most if al I imagine because perhaps you might be playing it on wimpy speakers at low volume?

IMO only way to hear what it sounds like to pedestrians is to get someone else to drive it up behind you. That is if you have average hearing acuity... ;)
Last edited by acensor on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

MLucas

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 am

Same sound from the O-PHEV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEivtfIVNow

Not a very good sound. I've scared the crap out of a lot of people when they realized a car was right behind them. :P

Should be something more distinctive.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

NoBeard

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:14 am

If anyone can figure out how to hack the sound we'd be really interested!
Ours is being used as a delivery vehicle for our Mead and will be logo'd up with bees on it....we'd LOVE to replace the sound with a recording of our bee hive!

NB

Edysfunction

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 am

I actually hear a higher pitch sound. Canadian 2017 iMiEV. I hear it when driving down the alley where there are fences on both sides. I hate it. There's also the low hum sound, which I can tolerate as it doesn't bother me as much as higher frequencies. I guess I'll have to disconnect the speaker.

Any updates on how to disconnect the AVAS quickly and painlessly?

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:22 am

Is it a real high pitch sound? And only when next to a solid object like a wall?

Koorz used to do this. It's coil whine in the MCU. I happened to have a recall on it and the new MCU doesn't do it nearly as bad.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

Edysfunction

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 am

Oh, okay.......... I'll mention it to the dealer then.

thanks

Edysfunction

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 am

Still hoping someone will chime in with a quick disconnect method. I really don't want to take the front right tire off and disconnect the speaker if I don't have to.

NoBeard

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:19 am

And I'd still love even more someone figuring out how to hack the sound so we could replace it with whatever we wanted!
NB

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm

NoBeard wrote:And I'd still love even more someone figuring out how to hack the sound so we could replace it with whatever we wanted
OK, did a little bit of digging and the module that generates the sound is located around the center of the console behind the climate controls. If you have the manual, find it under Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System ¶54A-pages 377-408 (can't believe how many pages of the manual are devoted to this gadget!). The output of this module (they call it an ECU) goes out directly to the external speaker, through three connectors along the way.

The manual says power to this module goes through fuse #15 (located inside the car above the driver's left foot) and it's supposed to be 7.5A but on my SE Premium it's 20A, so I wonder what else it's powering? The fuses look like miniature ATC (with which I'm unfamiliar) and I won't pull mine out until I get some spares - that's a tribute to our i-MiEV that in five years of ownership I haven't bothered to get any fuses. For now, here's a photo of that fusebox cover:

So, the question on the table: has anyone accessed that area under the dashboard to get to that AVAS ECU?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Edysfunction

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:09 am

ECU is the electronic control unit. I imagine pulling that fuse will kill a whole bunch of other stuff. On Honda's, at least older ones, the ECU controls just about everything. We have an MCU, as well (Motor Control Unit). I've opened up the fuse panel on driver's side to add accessories, both constant and switched 12 volt for extra USB port, dashcam, radar detector, etc.

If someone can point out where the connectors to the AVAS, aside from the one at the unit itself, are I would be eternally grateful.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”