Autonomous Cars

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
I see that the Feds just announced they are responsible for overseeing autonomous cars and issued a bunch of guidelines, which I haven't yet had a chance to review. My concern is that innovation not be stifled by over-caution.

I have a simple concept: subject the car to the same driving test given humans! I'll put my money on the Google Car. The level of human driving (in)competence exhibited daily is appalling - even parallel parking has been eliminated from the California driving test!

Daily, I see Google's autonomous cars driving around Mountain View and Palo Alto, although they haven't ventured into the hills where I live. The other day one of their electric cars was stopped on a side street as the Googler was inspecting something so I asked him if I could snap some photos and he didn't mind so here they are:

GoogleCar1.jpg

GoogleCar2.jpg

GoogleCar3.jpg

Here's an old TED talk on the subject:
https://www.ted.com/talks/chris_urmson_how_a_driverless_car_sees_the_road?language=en

Neat. The Google Car ought to have amazing interior space for being similar in size to the i-MiEV but only having one bench seat.

Back