Business to add Chargepoint Chargers ???

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

So my work is looking into adding chargers to our Garage, instead of us using the 2 wall plugs that we currently have.

I suggested Chargepoint as they are all around here and you can set it up to charge a fee or not.

Anyone know what the Monthly FEE is for the Business ??
I can't seem to find it anywhere, without calling.

I don't think there is one. I think it just comes down to buying a station, creating an account, and letting folks use it.

Of all the public stations I've used, I think Chargepoint is my new favorite. Sure, the Eaton units have been the most reliable, but the design of the Chargepoint units is un-matched. The cords never touch the ground!

Down the road, it would be nice for them to bump up the current to the full 80 amp spec of the J1772 standard.

Right now, only Tesla. But, that needs to change. The topic is covered here: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2767. While it's true that only Tesla cars support this rate of AC charging, the hope is that the other automakers jump on and make their cars support it, too. I'd support CCS if the AC side can also do 80 amps (and a CHAdeMO adapter is made for us). But that's where my dilemma is, hence the existence of the linked thread.

I've been giving myself a headache reading a thread on TMC about plugs, primarily an adapter to allow non-Tesla EVs to use HPWCs. I've been trying to figure out the best way to deploy a real charging network in and around Pittsburgh. What we have now isn't too bad (there are plenty of places worse off), but the network is made up of mostly car dealers outside of the city, and the only way to know if they work is by either making a gamble and driving to it or go by recent Plugshare check-ins. The Chargepoint network is great in that it shows available/in use, as well as more locations supporting reservations. I don't know if it can report if the station is out of commission or not, but I imagine that it could. The downsides are that none of the Chargepoint units support the full 80 amps, and the units are made in China. Meanwhile, Clipper Creek units are made in the US, and their CS-100 supports 80 amp charging, for the same price as a comparable 30 amp station.

I need to talk to the higher-ups at my work, too, about adding a charging station. Right now, there are three plug-ins in the company, my personal i-MiEV, a company Volt, and another employee's personal Volt. Myself and the Project Manager driving the company Volt both work in the office, the Volt driver driving more than 80 miles a day. He currently plugs into a 120 volt outlet, which almost fully recharges the Volt. However, his parking spot (not marked) is taken by someone else driving an ICE at least several times a month, meaning he's driving 40 miles home on gas. I don't charge at work often, but I need the charge when I do. I would like them to get a Chargepoint CT4021, but the prices on this unit is crazy ($7,210). But, a dual post station would allow one installation to charge two cars.

Well, we are having an issue at work. There is a New Employee who doesn't know the EV rules... and drives a C-Max. She blew a fuse when she plugged in when the Smart EV was also plugged in, another time unplugged the Smart EV (no note left). Smart EV guy left her 2 notes, no replies. Parking manager left her several notes and she didn't reply..... Obviously she feels privlaged as when he did talk to her, she wanted him to tell the Smart EV to not plug in when she is there ..... WTF !!

She also unplugged an electric Lift that is parked next to her, no charge when they went to use it.

That pissed off the Hospital main guy who is now just pissed in general..... He DID say to me today that I have a 'Need" where she does not and that is why they are looking into the Chargers... about time. We asked for them last year and the year before.

I think this girl needs to have the EV MANNERS BOOK put on her windshield.

tigger19687 said:
...I think this girl needs to have the EV MANNERS BOOK put on her windshield.
Pity that one bad apple resulted in conflict. If you google "EV Charging Etiquette" you'll get many hits and maybe an appropriate article to stick under her windshield.

The installation and then recurring costs associated with cell-connected ChargePoint stations may be prohibitive for your hospital bean-counters, and the fear is that the administration may simply not want to be bothered and stop trying to help (or worse, prohibit all charging).

I think that you may want to help them out and undertake this as an informal proposal to them, and include the option of simply adding a row of 120vac 15A/20A heavy-duty outlets, as IMO that may be most cost-effective way to go. The maze of regulatory constraints needs to be dealt with, which the hospital facilities electrical staff may be able to help you with, as well as with pricing the modifications.

Does the hospital get any brownie-points for going "green" for implementing EV charging? Any local grants available?

Good luck!

There is an annual Network Plan that a station owner must have for their station to work. Everybody wants you to call them for pricing.

So, there is a cost to owning these stations, but we don't know what the cost is until someone talks to a sales rep. Also, it appears that one station has to have cellular connectivity and act as a gateway for the other stations, but I thought I read somewhere that these also support WiFi and Ethernet instead of cellular.

Hmm, good points.
There is a State grant to pay for 1/2 the cost.

I did mention just putting in a wall outlet for the spots and that would be the cheapest....

Back