Electric SNOW Blowers - who has them, I love mine

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

Saw mine in the basement yesterday and it got me thinking --Seeing as it is the time of year, who has one of these?

Summer of 2014 I picked up a very small Corded Snow Blower by Toro, about 5 years old for $20 off CL. I usually just shovel as I don't have a huge drive or walkway.
When it had not snowed by Jan 8th I wondered if I had stopped the snow from coming because FOR ONCE I was prepared for New England Winter.

It did an AMAZING job for it's size, but by the 4th Blizzard in I wanted something bigger. There were none to be had in stores, actually they don't usually carry the bigger Electric ones anyway in stores much around here.
If you don't remember, Boston had 6 weeks of Blizzards came, one every week for 6 weeks straight, a total of over 9 FEET.

I ordered the GreenWorks 26032 12 Amp 20" Corded Snow Thrower shipped to me for $200. I only got to use it 4 times but it worked great !
I bumped it on a post at the end of Winter and it started to vibrate a little. Checked it out and seemed fine.
I will find out come THIS Winter.

Best part of the Electric is it being so LIGHT weight and not screwing around with oil/plug/carb yadda yadda yadda. I can pick it up and put it in my basement for the Summer and carry out the Lawn Mower

Even better is I can brush it off after Snow blowing and keep it in the entrance way, plug into the house outlet and blow my deck on my way out to the driveway/shed. :) Yes I AM that lazy

What's a snow blower? What does it do?? Why do you 'love it'??? :lol:

There's the old joke about the guy who's getting ready to retire. He sticks a snow shovel in the stake hole in his pick-up bed and drives south until finally someone asks him "What's that thing?" He buys his retirement house there :D

If I lived where you do, my snow blower would have a 5.0 V-8 on it!!! :shock:

Don

I member sitting in my Barracks room in the triangle and watching people hit their brakes and go flying through the intersection in Keesler AFB during a rare snow/ice situation in winter 1973.
Damn I am old.

February 10th, 1973 - The first recorded snow in Biloxi in more than 20 years. I was here then too . . . . stationed at Keesler. We've had a couple more 'snow events' since then. One year we had enough snow that the kids actually got to make a snowman. It was all gone the next day though

I'm older than you :cry:

Don

NeilBlanchard said:
The first generation Toro is a great snow blower, but the second gen has a fatal flaw. I now own a Snow Joe and it is very similar to the first gen Toro.

Funny I steered away from the Snow Joe as it looked like cheap crap.

Don and rkarl .............. You make me smile as according to your Dates, I am 10 years YOUNGER then you 2 .... ;)
My barracks were in Newport RI, so I STILL didn't get out of the darn snow !

Electric leaf blower. Works pretty good with dry snow. Sliding a shovel causes ice to form on the driveway, but blowing the dry snow with air leaves the concrete completely dry.

For wet snow, a diesel/solar combo :mrgreen: . Plow most of the snow off with a tractor, then let the sun melt and dry what's left.

We get a little snow up our way.

3e4b.jpg

storm808mar7.jpg

I don't think an electric snow blower would work for us....

Storm808Mar2.jpg

sandange said:
We get a little snow up our way.
Understatement of the week :lol: .

sandange said:
I don't think an electric snow blower would work for us....
I don't think a gas one would either. I hope you keep a good stock of food and necessities. There's no way I'd attempt to open that door.

The most snow we've received that I can remember was 2010. We got 2.5 feet of snow overnight, which started out as rain. The was the first and only time we got a week off of school for snow days. With the utility knocked out for a week, 20 watts worth of solar panels kept a few lights and a radio going until we could get our hands on a generator. I'm glad we designed our house to be self-sufficient, with wood heat and a water storage tank behind the house for gravity flow.

That was in March 2008.
The drifts off of the lake piled it up high .
The back door was only about a foot deep.

We're set up pretty good 10hp gas blower, 8000 w generator, battery/inverter backed up pellet wood stove and a good size freezer.
We upgraded our generator when we got the Miev in case of longer power outage situations

sandange, LOVE the Yurt (?) or do they not call it that since it is not movable ?
Still Cool looking.
Think you need an escape hatch out the roof, just in case.

We get drifts like that too on some storms, usually it is on the side of MY duplex and I have all the shoveling to do while the next door just walks outside .

I have been wanting to try the Leaf blower, but I have yet to have Fluffy snow lately :(

Our snow is usually too heavy for any blower
This is our retirement home that we operate our tourist rental from.
Thanks for the positive comment.
Definitely not movable, The construction is called buy several names.........
Cordwood construction, Cordwood masonry, Stackwall, Log end construction, etc

We call it "The Cordstead",
up here in French "La Maison Cordstead"
Our other passion besides EV's
Sorry for the off topic wandering

I had an uncle in NW Washington just south of Vancouver BC who built a similar house, but he used beer cans in place of your logs. Both ends were covered and the beer cans provided dead airspace within the concrete wall - Surprisingly energy efficient, though I don't see how much better it would be than just building with concrete blocks. I think he just convinced his wife it was a good idea so that he had an excuse to drink all that beer! Need a new room added on the back of the house? Go buy another 50 cases of beer!! :lol:

With that sort of snow, I just don't think I could live there. I don't do well in the cold and that looks *really* cold. I'm shivering just thinking about the wind across the lake that blew in all that snow :shock:

Don

We can get temperatures down to (-25C to -30c) = (-13 F to -22 F) without the wind factor, for a week at a time.
I'm not fond of the cold either.
The House is super insulated as we injected 6" of expanding foam insulation into the walls between the Mortar joints

2a24.jpg

Not to worry for Bluey
The garage is build the same way and we park Bluey inside on those extreme cold days.

Never thought I'd be in this kind of thread but I'm happy to say I own and use an electric snow blower/thrower. I love it since it requires zero maintenance but my older brother and father don't really like to use it because of the cord. Honestly, I got used to the cord, one must be mindful at all times of what you're doing. I've destroyed one extension cord while not paying attention so I learned the hard way! :oops: They really want to buy a gasoline snow blower/thrower but I voted against that when I purchased the electric version out of my pocket. They insist its a better experience but I told them I will not be partaking in any tune-ups or oil changes come winter time. :lol: Have fun with all of that! I'll deal with the cord.

I am saddened that my landlord will NOT be redoing my Bumpy broken driveway. He said he just can't afford it :(

BUT.......... I honestly can't wait to use my electric snow blower. :)

Back