Don
Site Moderator

Re: Back-In Parking

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:24 am

JoeS wrote:We both bemoaned the incompetence of drivers who are incapable of properly performing this simple maneuver.
If you look at the cars in those pictures which are either parked *on* the white lines or very close to them, there's no need to bemoan anyone else's incompetence - They have plenty enough to go around right there!

Again, it's just much, much harder to get centered in a small space backing in than it is if you pull in forward and as the pictures clearly show, it's the same all around the world - It's no easier for them to do it there (where evidently they *attempt* it every day) than it is for us here

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Don wrote:
JoeS wrote:We both bemoaned the incompetence of drivers who are incapable of properly performing this simple maneuver.
If you look at the cars in those pictures which are either parked *on* the white lines or very close to them, there' no need to bemoan anyone else's lack of ability - They have plenty enough to go around right there!
Aw, Don, you know I wasn't going to let that one go - here are some examples of front-in parking California drivers' expertise. :shock:

Not to worry, within a few short years autonomous vehicles will compensate for incompetence. :lol: There are now lots of the new little Google autonomous cars in the neighborhood and my wife thought they'd be a great mini-me complement to the i-MiEV - we'll try to get a photo of their bubble car next to our i-MiEV. :P
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

From New Owner = Ben thread:
jsantala wrote:…I don't think backing up for charging is really needed except for QC, since the J1772 charging cable is long enough to reach even if you don't. In a garage you can always put the EVSE where you want it to be.
Also, you're less likely to hit pedestrians and cyclists, perhaps other motorists as well, if you don't have to back out of a parking spot. When you arrive at the spot you'll have more time and visibility to check the surroundings before you back in. Somehow it still does seem bothersome to do it.
I back in for both DCQC and J1772. Once you make it a habit of backing into every parking spot, it becomes second-nature (I admit, have yet to convince wife of that). Avoiding the uncertainty when pulling out is priceless, IMO. I must say that, after a year with the second i-MiEV's backup camera, it's downright decadent, although I still primarily use the side mirrors.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

tigger19687

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I have a confession ............... I don't back in at work :(

It isn't because I don't want to, I do. But My assigned spot is a HARD right turn after the gate. SO even just backing in blocks the gate and then triggers it to open it again.... which results in it getting stuck open and we can't have riff raff parking in the "special" parking area ;)

If I do back in, then backing out makes me have to do a 3 point turn due to a wall and post .

Yes, pulling in puts my port in front of the plug and backing in makes me go all the way around.

I just feel bad sometimes as I want to back in
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

databeestje

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:58 pm

We have a fish bone parking lot at work, and the evse is thus always at the front, it's also one direction, so backing up into that spot to get easier access would mean going against the direction of traffic. Since it's a company parking lot there isn't much harm, but it makes it that much more difficult.

It's a good thing that I have a 5 meter Type 2 to type 1 cord, so I can easily get from the front EVSE, along the side, around the back and into the charge port.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:49 pm

databeestje wrote:...It's a good thing that I have a 5 meter Type 2 to type 1 cord, so I can easily get from the front EVSE, along the side, around the back and into the charge port.
Yuk, dragging that long cord over the ground and getting one's hands dirty coiling it back up... :o presumably you have a nice box to store it in and not get the car's carpeting dirty. :roll:

databeestje

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51 pm

JoeS wrote:
databeestje wrote:...It's a good thing that I have a 5 meter Type 2 to type 1 cord, so I can easily get from the front EVSE, along the side, around the back and into the charge port.
Yuk, dragging that long cord over the ground and getting one's hands dirty coiling it back up... :o presumably you have a nice box to store it in and not get the car's carpeting dirty. :roll:

The ground isn't too dirty at work, but in this winter weather it's a bit wet every now and again.

You're right though, I have a foldable plastic shopping crate in the back where I keep it, along with a first aid kit and a small toolbox, also a foam knee pad which comes in handy on occasion.

offgridQLD

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:17 pm

I live in Australia and a small country town (That's street is always full as its a popular getaway town) They have the back in parallel parking rule in the main street and I hate it with a passion.

Yes I can back my Imiev and my 4wd utility into any spot it will physically fit without issue. It has nothing to do with driver skill. So that's not my worry?

Tell me this where are kids, pedestrians, dogs and personal Items more likely to be at any one time.

A) out on the street with the cars?

B) Along side the parked cars in the space (empty car park along side there car) as they exit there parked car?

If your having trouble It's (B)

Then you have the issue of cars on the stree wanting to park. Indicating, stopping all within the space of 2 seconds. The cars behind them have allready driven close to the car that wants to park and ten cars behind them have done the same. How the hell is that going to work . Are they all expected to back up 10 feet for the guy at the front.

I have seen so many things (shopping, prams, animals) driven over. Kids getting out of parked cars and playing on the edge of the space next to them. Prams parked there as moms get a 2nd child out of the car. All while a car is trying to back in (pressured by the line of car that have to hang about for them. Remember you cant see the back of your car down low, center without a camera the mirrors only show so much.

I would much prefer to pull in facing the foot path. As I drive in I have a 100% clear view of the open car park and can see everything. When I reverse (angle parked) my tail lights are facing the (slow) oncoming cars so they can see my reversing lights and intention. I can see the oncoming cars in my mirrors as I reverse out to pick my timing.

Every one is safe and happy. I could strangle the knuckle head who enforced that silly back in rule in our town. I refuse to park in the main street. They can all run over each others gear, kids, dogs and the like and sit in the street for hrs in a line with one cars not knowing whats going on with a guy at the front wanting them all to reverse back so he can park. In the mean time I have parked out the back (forward facing) and already got my shopping and driven off.

I Also don't reverse into my garage at home as I have a child that likes to suddenly pop up in unexpected places. Often doing something silly like crawling on the ground down low there I might not see her. (only has to happen once)

Kurt

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:02 am

I'm in love - videos showing Tesla (v7.1 software update) autonomously backing into perpendicular parking spots:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8T-kUbaRM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWLzE_NvVg

Phximiev

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 pm

So's my wife, she's ready to trade in the iMiev for a Tesla!
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Return to “Off Topic”