U.S. EV tax credit going up to $10,000?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't think it's fair that they do this as a tax 'credit' - Whatever the incentive is, it should be available to everyone who buys a car, not just to those making $100K or more

Don

I got almost half of the $7,500 tax credit, and I don't make anywhere near $100,000. But, I agree, it should be a rebate, not a credit.

If they do a rebate instead, I hope they don't follow Pennsylvania's way, where you get a rebate that comes from tax dollars, and the rebate itself is taxable income.

This may actually cause more backlash against EVs than improving sales. There's already a pretty widespread notion that EVs and renewables alike need government subsidies to sell. Many of us here know that this isn't necessarily true, but bad information spreads much faster than good information, unfortunately.

PV1 said:
If they do a rebate instead, I hope they don't follow Pennsylvania's way, where you get a rebate that comes from tax dollars, and the rebate itself is taxable income.

This may actually cause more backlash against EVs than improving sales. There's already a pretty widespread notion that EVs and renewables alike need government subsidies to sell. Many of us here know that this isn't necessarily true, but bad information spreads much faster than good information, unfortunately.
They're already going a long way toward making EV's look like a rich man's game - It's the $75K Tesla you see on the news 90% of the time and then the roughly $100K income requirement for the $7.5K rebate makes average car buyers feel like they're priced out of the new technology, which is a shame. A 60 mile range econo-EV would be perfect for low income folks with an average commute, but the current law benefits the rich instead of them

Don

Hot Damn- that would make the effective MSRP of a 2014 i-MiEV $12,995
They oughtta be able to sell 'em as fast as they can build batteries.
If this passes, who wants to bet that Mitsu messes up another golden opportunity... :roll:

Back