JoeS
Site Moderator

Public Charging Station Customers

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 pm

When our local town was considering installing public charging stations, one of the first things I did was point out that there were FIVE customer groups for the EVSEs that they should consider:

1. Local EV/NEV driver with short range who NEEDS to charge to get home.
2. Local EV commuter who takes family out for shopping/dinner in town after work and has a follow-on appointment and NEEDS to charge while in town.
3. Long-distance driver on a nearby Interstate who NEEDS to stop and charge, and, e.g., has a meal while waiting.
4. Long-distance driver for whom the town is a destination; e.g., a meeting. This person NEEDS to charge.
5. Employees of businesses within the town who are EV commuters and NEED to charge to get home.

Well, I've now come up with a sixth Customer:

6. A local resident coming home from a long trip and running on 'empty' and NEEDS to charge in order to get home.

This has now happened twice to me coming back from SFO and the East Bay because I was not able to charge there when I started the return trip. From town it is another five miles uphill for me to get home and even though I was perfectly-timed and still had two bars remaining and probably could have made it before turtle, I elected to top up before going home. Restaurants in town were the beneficiaries.

Happily, this town (Los Altos which currently charges $1/hr) is not in the predicament (yet) of Palo Alto (free charging) or the airports (free charging but pay for parking) where plug-in hybrids (Volt, Plug-In Prius, Ford Energi, etc.) which DO NOT NEED to charge have been hogging the EVSEs, leaving those of us with pure BEVs in somewhat of a quandary...
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

alohart

Re: Public Charging Station Customers

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Adding a reasonable fee for charging at public charging stations would likely reduce the problem of PHEV's using them. A PHEV driver might decide that using his ICE to recharge his battery pack is less expensive than paying to charge. I wish public charging stations in Honolulu would add a reasonable charging fee ($2/hr is not reasonable!) to cut down on the use of these charging stations by PHEV's.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Zelenec

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 pm

JoeS wrote:1. Local EV/NEV driver with short range who NEEDS to charge to get home.
2. Local EV commuter who takes family out for shopping/dinner in town after work and has a follow-on appointment and NEEDS to charge while in town.
3. Long-distance driver on a nearby Interstate who NEEDS to stop and charge, and, e.g., has a meal while waiting.
4. Long-distance driver for whom the town is a destination; e.g., a meeting. This person NEEDS to charge.
5. Employees of businesses within the town who are EV commuters and NEED to charge to get home.
6. A local resident coming home from a long trip and running on 'empty' and NEEDS to charge in order to get home.

7. A local resident having no option to charge home
Tired of smelly garage - switched to EV in 2012!
Zelenec = Greeny, Treehugger, Ecofan
www.mojev.si

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:21 am

Zelenec wrote:7. A local resident having no option to charge home
Of course, with our own alohart being a prime example. Thank you Zelenec.

Originally, I had not considered public EVSEs as significant for local users, but now I see that my preconception was wrong.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

alohart

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:24 pm

JoeS wrote:
Zelenec wrote:7. A local resident having no option to charge home
Of course, with our own alohart being a prime example.

I don't recommend this situation. Being unable to count on a public charging station being available when needed really limits one's EV usage. I can't envision enough public charging stations being available at locations where EV owners would want to hang out while charging. The one exception would be at work locations, but then how would an EV owner charge on non-work days unless an EV is used as just a work commuting vehicle with an ICE vehicle being used for everything else?
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Zelenec

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 pm

alohart wrote:I don't recommend this situation. Being unable to count on a public charging station being available when needed really limits one's EV usage. I can't envision enough public charging stations being available at locations where EV owners would want to hang out while charging.
The owner I know solved this problem by overnight charging at the nearest neighbor who was willing to allow charging. He paid him double the price of energy consumed. Thus, they are both satisfied.
www.mojev.si

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:11 am

Zelenec wrote:
alohart wrote:I don't recommend this situation. Being unable to count on a public charging station being available when needed really limits one's EV usage. I can't envision enough public charging stations being available at locations where EV owners would want to hang out while charging.
The owner I know solved this problem by overnight charging at the nearest neighbor who was willing to allow charging. He paid him double the price of energy consumed. Thus, they are both satisfied.
If I had a regular commute which required charging away from home, that would be my #1 'solution' - My vision of 'public' charging would be to make a 'private' arrangement with someone I could count on near the location I needed

I cannot imagine living day to day with the anxiety of 'will I be able to timely recharge today' and being dependent on the availability of any 'public' charging infrastructure. Even with expanded QC facilities, I don't think we will ever see the equivalent of pulling into a gas station and getting 'refueled' in a timely and convenient manner, let alone at reasonable prices

Mostly because of the frustrations and limitations associated with public charging, I don't see EV's ever becoming practical for a sizeable chunk of the motoring public, but they already are 100% practical for many of us - Especially for those of us who can recharge at (or near) work, and those of us who can make a round trip to and from wherever we need while recharging at home

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Zelenec

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:38 am

Don wrote:My vision of 'public' charging would be to make a 'private' arrangement with someone I could count on near the location I needed
I share your opinion, Don. In my small country (like many others) we have organized the plug sharing network. Wherever it was necessary, we found friendly people, inns, tourist spots, where we can always charge. Also the majority of EV-drivers has of course offered their sockets. So far we do not have too much trouble finding charging spots.
www.mojev.si

MLucas

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 am

Zelenec wrote:
Don wrote:My vision of 'public' charging would be to make a 'private' arrangement with someone I could count on near the location I needed
I share your opinion, Don. In my small country (like many others) we have organized the plug sharing network. Wherever it was necessary, we found friendly people, inns, tourist spots, where we can always charge. Also the majority of EV-drivers has of course offered their sockets. So far we do not have too much trouble finding charging spots.

That does seem like part of the solution. My socket is listed but I've never received a call. I offer both my 110v outlet that is easilly accesible on my porch and my 240v EVSE that can be accessed by giving me a call.

I'm really sick of this EV backlash of arresting owners for using 110v outlets that have no signage stating the outlet can't be used. I was thinking about Wi-Fi how ubiquitous that has become. Now, 110v outlets should be just as ubiquitous. It's not that much electricity and would solve a lot of this problem.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

jray3

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Well, Don and Art, public L2 EVSE is at that point in the Seattle region now. If one station is down, you're rarely more than a few miles from another. CHAdeMO is getting close. There's only a couple of towns where the Nissan dealer is the only DCQC option, which I've done successfully, twice with a bait n switch (the sales guy assumed I was driving a LEAF till he was standing outside with the key fob to start up the station for me, (didn't ask, didn't tell)! :roll: Thanks for helping a cousin out!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Return to “Off Topic”