DougC

Need a longer range ev

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm

My driving needs are about to change. I'm going to need 100+ miles of highway a couple times a week. My daily commute is 16 miles one way I prefer to charge at work and not at home. I'm cheap that way :?

I'm Looking for advice / recommendations

I'm tempted by the Bolt. A little pricy right now. 2 year old Volts or BMW i3 are decent priced. Would need the range extender on the i3. 2016 or newer Volt to get the longer ev range would be good.

Cabin heat is important. Does the i3 use the ice motor for heat?

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

rmay635703

Re: Need a longer range ev

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 pm

I3’s you won’t want out of warranty for many reasons

Heating description here

https://www.speakev.com/threads/bmw-i3- ... heat.3315/

Volts especially the Gen 1 are very reliable 35-65 miles per charge depending on weather and driving speed. On the 100 mile trip your speed and access to charging mid trip will determine the best model be it
Volt Gen 1
Volt Gen II
or Prime / Pip (have to run math better gas mpgs win if you are constantly driving long trips beyond EV range)

Put your speed, distance between chargers and standard “car” numbers to run your options.

Up front and maintenance Gen 1 is cheapest
Prime & Gen II are most up front but tied for maintenance (thus far)
Pip is middle of the pack up front but the least reliable (bad head gaskets and only engine heat)

Good Luck

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am

The Bolt compliments the i-MiEV very well. They are both similarly packaged in terms of size and interior room, but the Bolt obviously gives you way more range and power with increased cabin luxury. With light heater usage (~45 F outside), I drove 160 miles at 70 MPH and arrived at the quick charger with 45 miles left. The Bolt is aerodynamic enough to where highway driving doesn't noticeably affect range.

My Pap recently bought a C-Max Energi (plug-in hybrid). Prior to him buying it, one of the salesman drove it about 90 highway miles every day. Charging at work and home, it was averaging 69 MPG on the dash. With my Pap driving it, he's gotten the average up to about 75 MPG. It has a 20 mile EV range, defaulting to hybrid operation after that (based on my parent's non-plug-in C-Max, regular hybrid use can easily average above 40 MPG).

Regarding highway performance between the C-Max hybrid and Gen 1 Volt, the C-Max seems happier overall. The Volt's generator complains on steeper hills. I actually get a headache every time I drive it in gas mode.

As for other 100-mile EV options, there is the 2017 LEAF with 30 kWh battery (107-mile EPA) or the 150-mile 2018 LEAF, although I don't know if the 2018 is available used yet. It looks like 2018 LEAFs start at $30,000 new
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

DougC

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks for the responses.

I think I can rule out the I3 based on the heater setup.

The only public charge stations on my 100 mile route are within 30 miles of my house. So I would need to go end to end without charging. A decent hybrid would be fine for the long trip as long as I can go 30+ mile on electric in the winter.

I've thought about the C-Max. There has been a few off-lease units at the local Ford dealer. Do you know how the heater is configured in the C Max, does it pull heat from the ice?

rmay635703

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm

DougC wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I've thought about the C-Max. There has been a few off-lease units at the local Ford dealer. Do you know how the heater is configured in the C Max, does it pull heat from the ice?

Personally, unless you need the space I wouldn’t go for the Cmax.

The cMax is a discontinued hybrid car similar to a PIP but with about twice the range.
This means it’s a hybrid first and EV second, see below
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussio ... 2_ds534257

Effectively it’s only source of heat is the gas engine, meaning ERDTT on steroids, it also , when left to its own devices does tend to engage the engine under a variety of circumstances where a Volt or Prime would run pure EV.
It also has the lowest fuel economy when running in gas mode below even the original 2011 Volt.

Speed, climate control and temperature really affect a PHEVs performance, my 2013 does excellent in warm to hot weather on slower speed roads. Depending on how much slower roads you can fit in your 100 mile trip summer time might be mostly EV even on a Gen 1 Volt.
Gotta crunch your specific situation.

That said if you only drive 85mph you probably need to get a Prime

Good Luck

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm

When we needed something with a longer range to go with our pair of 2012's, we got a '17 Volt Premier. It has all the bells and whistles . . . . ACC which I'll never be without again, emergency high speed braking, which has already saved my butt once, LKA, the cross vehicle alert when you're backing, the sensors which light up the side mirrors when someone is in your blind spot . . . . it's all there

The Gen 2 Volts do 50 to 70 miles on battery alone and get right at 45 mpg when running on gas, so even when you've exhausted the battery, you're still not using much gas. In my book, it's better in many ways than a pure long range EV because recharging is optional, not mandatory and that eliminates what can be a real hassle many times

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

rmay635703

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh I agree Don, that is why I bought a 2013 Volt back in the day, I do 1 or 2 4000 mile trips out west every year and I loath carrying more extra cars so Volt it was, even if there were EV highways , it still would have been very troublesome making the trip without a PHEV, any charging is a bonus with the Volt but not necessity.

The Gen 2 Volt gets the same summer fuel economy as a Gen 2 Prius and can get very high EV marks in the right hands, out of the choices it’s the safest bet if your going for a newer car with a lot of highway driving in the mix.

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I want to say the C-Max Energi has both electric and engine heat but haven't confirmed personally (the dash shows climate power up to 5 kW which the A/C never pulls anywhere near that). The conventional hybrid only has engine heat, but the engine runs fairly often anyway.

I don't know about Gen 2 Volts, but the Gen 1 Volt will run the engine when it's cold out, but I don't know about the Energi.

Volt will likely go better in the snow, so a gen 2 will likely be your best bet unless you want pure EV.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

DougC

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Sounds like a newer Volt is my best bet.

There is a 2018 at a local dealer for just over $30K. That's for employee discount with a current lease. I can get employee discount through my brother in law but don't have a gm lease. Not sure the trim level for that either. But with the federal rebate it would be around $23000

My co-worker has a relative that works at the dealer. Might get with him and see what the bottom line would be.

DougC

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Just checked, it's an LT trim. $34,755 msrp, sale price $28,688 with employee discount and $1500 for existing lease. The only options are comfort package and interior protection package

I need to learn more about the model options. But that looks Iike a very good price.

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”