Tesla Truck

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Elon unveiled his new semi yesterday. Only offered a few details and that leaves more questions than answers

0-60 pulling an empty trailer in 5 seconds

0-60 pulling a fully loaded trailer (80,000 pounds) in 20 seconds

Ability to pull the 80,000 pound trailer up a 5% grade at a steady 65 mph . . . . and only using 2 of the 4 wheel motors to do it! Wheel motors are rumored to be the same as the ones used in the Model 3

500 mile range towing 80,000 pounds - Recharge to 80% (400 miles) in only 30 minutes

Million mile bumper to bumper warranty - With regenerative braking, the friction brakes are estimated to last for the full million miles

Jackknifing is prevented thanks to an array of onboard sensors that can detect when this event is about to occur and take action to stop it. Cameras and sensors are found all around the vehicle, enabling features such adaptive cruise control and the company’s Enhanced Autopilot functionality. The cameras also serve as sideview mirrors and aid in object detection and blindspot monitoring. Automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and lane keep assist are also included.

Non Tesla experts estimated the battery to be close to 1 Mw. Price estimated to be around $250K. A $5K deposit will get you a reservation with anticipated delivery in late 2019, early 2020. Walmart and JB Hunt trucking have already placed orders

Oh . . . . a CD of just 0.36 which is better than the Buggati Chiron super car.

Don

Yeah. I wasn't expecting numbers like that. I figured they'd shoot for the current 300-mile mark, not 500 "worst case". This should definitely help offset the effects of some of the insanity going on at the Federal level.

The cargo was pretty nice, as well ;) . (http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3888)

Heres what I would do with mine:

Custom trailer roof of all solar panels. Trailer converted into a really nice and practical RV. All electric, no propane, no generator, none of the impractical nonsense found on current RV's. Composting toilet(s) leaving far more stored water for relaxing showers (even a hot bath). Charge the traction battery with the solar panels and use it as your house battery for the RV. On a long stay somewhere you could add a few solar miles range with leftover PV from living consumption. Clearstory windows down the sides of the trailer would provide good natural light with complete privacy even with the insulating blinds open. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea? It would be traveling light compared to a full load of cargo 700 - 800 miles of range perhaps? You would really get your monies worth at an RV park pulling 40 amps off the 50 amp circuit the whole time there :D

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt, I like it. That's one thing that's bugged me when folks say they're "off-grid", energy-wise. They're not really off-grid when half of their energy still comes from fossil fuels (propane heat, cooking, hot water), even if all electricity comes from solar.

Side-stepping the topic a bit, but that's the plan for my next house. The only things I'll rely on (outside of food) are sunshine and rain (solar thermal heat and hot water, solar electric for everything else, and solar thermal water distillation/grey water recycling with rain collection). Not totally off-the-grid, but pretty darn close (no power, water, or sewer utilities, not even a well or septic tank).

Actually, with the Semi platform, Tesla should be able to fairly easily enter the bus and RV markets, especially if they are backwards compatible with the Superchargers (a lot of their newer locations have a pull-through unit on the end of a concrete island).

Back