jray3

Re: Life with Chevy Bolt EV

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 am

PV1 wrote:Calling around to different dealers, the price of one factory wheel ranged from $395 to $800. I ended up buying a full set of aftermarket wheels for $700, which gives me a full spare and two winter rims from the remaining 3 OEM wheels.

After hitting a big block of wood, one busted wheel/tire, a re-alignment and a possible wheel bearing as the only casualties speak well of the car's durable suspension. I guess the only fault besides the trucker who lost that block would lie with GM dealer parts pricing! It is absurd that you can buy an aftermarket set of new wheels for less than the price of a single replacement.

Was there ever a resolution to the 'ice trough' that kept windshield wipers frozen up in winter?
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 94,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree. I think that if the outside edge of the wheel hit the wood, it would've been worse. The wheel splitting absorbed a lot of energy.

As for the ice trough, my solution has been to turn the wipers on delay (which parks the upper wiper slightly above the dashboard), shut the car off, and leave my Litecoin miner running in the car all night. It keeps the windows clear, the interior heat-soaked, and actually transmits a bit of heat into the battery through conduction (the back seat sits right on top of the battery).

A couple rounds of pre-heating with the wipers left on also does the trick, but having a small heat source in the car all night allows the whole windshield to warm up and prevent snow from accumulating in the first place. Plus, the litecoin miner is more economical than a resistance heater :ugeek: .
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:15 pm

It's been a while, but the Bolt is now fully repaired. Two new tires (one necessary, the other due to front right wheel/tire becoming a full spare), 4 new, aftermarket wheels, an alignment, and a new wheel bearing. Total cost - $1,400, though I gained a full spare tire, two winter rims, and a 6" X 6" X 12" wood block.

For my Birthday, I got the false floor kit, which the spare tire, jack, and charging cords all fit under neatly. This kit covers the rear cargo well and gives the Bolt near-flat floor cargo capacity with the rear seats folded down.

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

rmay635703

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:52 pm

phb10186 wrote:
4. It would be wrong to believe that a company like Toyota will not have been working very hard behind the scenes to perfect BEV technology.

They have been quite anti-EV.
Their leadership has been quite vocal about this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs. ... -case/amp/

Must be a reason.

Though I agree proper self driving in 2 years is a joke, maybe 20 or more.

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Toyota is anti-EV because they believe in Hydrogen more, and they don't consider Hydrogen cars to be EVs (however, the only difference is they have a fuel cell instead of a lithium ion battery, though FCVs still have a smaller battery pack). They were the ones to introduce Hydrogen cars back in the early 2000's to justify ending the RAV4-EV, and recently they ditched the RAV4-EV effort for the Mirai.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am

I'm presently visiting in Medford, Oregon, where my brother-in-law lives, as does my wife's mom. A year ago I talked him into getting a Bolt which he and his wife love and he's made a successful 800-mile round-trip down to the SF Bay Area to visit his daughter in it - but what a hassle fraught with unknowns and and a few slower (25kW) chargers, compared to the Tesla. The good news is that the higher-power DCFC infrastructure is expanding and including both CCS and CHAdeMO, although still not enough to allow the i-MiEV to traverse California up/down the major north-south Interstate 5. I am soooo envious of the Bolt's regen paddle and one-pedal driving being able to completely stop the car, and sure wish we could hack the i-MiEV controller to do that.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”