Tesla Race Car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Zero to 60 in 2.1 seconds - This should be fun to watch!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/electric-gts-tesla-model-s-race-car-does-0-60-mph-in-21-seconds/ar-AAlXRQN?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I watched several races at the Nurburgring and while it's hard to imagine a two ton race car being really fast around the old North Course, somehow I'll bet they will be!

Don

That will be interesting to see if they can apply that power and torque for longer than 6 seconds at a time.

Back when i was on a hacking team of the Tesla CAN data it was evident from the voltage, current and torque parameters that the power was being pulled back by the controller after about 6 seconds of full power acceleration, likely to prevent melting stuff in the motor or inverter.

/rant
One of my pet peeves is motorsport journalists who don't know their torque or energy from a hole in the ground.

Torque is a vector cross product, r x F, so the proper units are ft-lbs. Potential energy is mg*h = W*h with units of lb-ft, as is Kinetic energy, 1/2m*v^2 or .5*m*v*v = .5*m *ft/s * ft/s = .5m*ft/s^2 * ft = lb-ft.
rant/

It's likely, but wouldn't a Tesla be north of 100 MPH after 6 seconds of full power? 3C discharge from the pack would be 750 amps, and at the nominal voltage for a 16-module pack, that's 266 kW.

What's the power draw of a P90D or P100D at full throttle?

This is a WOT acceleration run that was scanned from CAN data before Tesla changed the PIDs. The torque command is pulled back after about 1.5 seconds, and the current is pulled back after about 7 seconds. Pack voltage sagged about 90 volts under the 1500 Amp draw. (~603 HP)

jYP9X8j.png

But this is a racecar with 775 horsepower, based on a P100 with 500 pounds trimmed from it and who knows what battery capacity is actually installed. A P90 is pretty quick . . . . this thing must be ridiculous!

I'm sure a production car has some *reasonable* limits dialed into it so it will last until the warranty period is over . . . . I seriously doubt that's the case with this monster

Don

It's past Ridiculous and even Ludicrous. They've gone to plaid! (Sorry, couldn't resist :lol: ). I can't wait to see what the new Roadster will be (Elon already said it'll be Maximum Plaid), but that's quite a bit down the road.

Power output is likely reduced because of battery output capability. 1,500 amps is 6C, and 18650 cells don't lend that well to this high of a discharge rate. The P90D can only pull a Ludicrous launch a few times per charge before suffering output power reduction, not to mention cabling ratings or motor cooling (which seems to be an issue for Tesla, especially with the air-cooled motor in the Roadster).

I'd love to see video of this car going around the track.

Maybe they'll run one on the North Course - There's a crowdfunding campaign for Dodge Viper lovers who want to go back and reset the fast lap record they once held there

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a32347/dodge-viper-nurburgring-record-gofundme/

The race track is open to the public for a few bucks per lap when nothing else is going on. I did a couple laps in my old 240Z when I was stationed in Germany in the 1980's. A 7 minute lap in a street legal car is really an incredible accomplishment - You have to average about 120 mph around a course with about 80 turns on it. By comparison, in 1975 Niki Lauda set a lap record of just under 7 minutes in a Ferrari 312 Formula 1 car!

Don

I was actually really surprised when the specifications and results of all these tests came out. I mean, you would think from the earlier instances of electric vehicles that there might be a drawback in terms of power when it comes to driving an electric vehicle, but we've been proven wrong, and Tesla is most definitely about the smash records on that front too!

Fully Charged reports about '100 D:

https://youtu.be/5_VL_76BoC8

This would probably be a great car to enter in a drag race!

Back