Chrysler TEV minivan

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

I'm considering adopting a dormant 1993 Dodge TEV minivan as my next high school auto shop project, one of 56 built.
Do any of our forum members have experience or expertise with this model?
http://www.tzev.com/1993_tevan_.html
This particular van developed a gearshift problem in 2010 after 16k miles of use and hasn't moved since. Luckily, it was in the smaller-still group with a flooded nicad pack, which can spend years or EVen decades in 0.0 Volt dormancy without ill effect. The prospect of resurrecting a factory-built AC EV that would still have no peer in today's marketplace (until the Pacifica Hybrid actually shows up) without having to invest thousands in a new battery pack and BMS is what is pushing me over the edge for this option.

Cheers,
Jay

There is only one guy who can fix the stock electronics,

I would recommend tossing the stock bms, charger and motor controller.

Next if memory serves that is a rare HV SEPEX motor not Ac.

(And yes I have thought of buying a nife powered tevvan too but the things usually need the stock control boards repaired.)

Good luck

At work we had two of the 1999 or 2000 TEV vans which are now long gone but we still have the chargers made by Martin Muritetta and they really are chargers rather than EVSE's. The vans had Nickel Iron batteries but we just now got around to taking down the pedestal chargers last week and they're sitting in our junk room. One of the guys wants to make a quick charger for his Nissan Leaf out of one.

Thanks Ed, if a 99 0r 2000 model, they were probably the EPIC, which had a 336V NiMH battery, AC drive and the third-generation minivan body plus aero modifications. That jives with hacking one into a LEAF charger.

jray3 said:
Thanks Ed, if a 99 0r 2000 model, they were probably the EPIC, which had a 336V NiMH battery, AC drive and the third-generation minivan body plus aero modifications. That jives with hacking one into a LEAF charger.
I went and looked at the nameplate on the charger and it's actually made by Lockheed Martin and it outputs 400 VDC so your probably right about it being an Epic. One of the mechanics told me (15 years ago) that ours had nickel iron batteries but could have be NiMH too. The time would have been about right for NiMH anyway. For input the charger takes 240 VAC single phase but also will take 208 VAC 3 phase.

Back