Model S Fire

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

Perhaps a manufacturing defect (rather than design)? http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-spontaneously-catches-fire-in-france/

Sad to hear of that Model S fire. I wonder what caused it. It seems to me that there was a high voltage short (maybe the heater or DC-DC converter?) that caught the plastic on fire up front. The previous collision-induced battery fires both took better than 5 minutes before they caught fire. This one was much quicker (about a minute) and also had a different warning message on the dash (problem with charging vs. car needs service). It wasn't either of the chargers as the fire was towards the front (the chargers are located beneath the back seat). We'll know once the official word comes from Tesla (one benefit of how scarily connected these cars are :? ).

Relevant posts moved from DIY EV builder catches pack on fire, burns up car and house thread.

True, only the 4th reported Tesla fire, but this is the first to not be involved in a collision (yet, still to be confirmed).

Back