PV1
Site Moderator

Re: 3-Wheel Battery-Electric Vehicles

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:10 pm

blackheart wrote:Actually - if I could get a Morgan three wheeler ;-) http://www.maxim.com/rides/morgan-ev3-three-wheel-beauty-2016-3

The Mitsubishi dealer where I bought Bear is slowly getting taken over by Toyota and Morgan. Wonder if they'll get the electric version in :mrgreen: .
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.
3 years with the i-MiEV and loving every mile!

Phximiev

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Solo R?

This holiday Monday, bring the family down to Pitt Meadows JIBC for the first ever public demonstration of the advanced performance SOLO, the SOLO R!

Submit your RSVP to events@electrameccanica.com. This is a weather permitting event subject to cancellation for rain conditions.

See the website for the Pitt address.
2012 iMIEV ES

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Still have to wonder what % of max power can be regenerated by a rear-wheel-drive three-wheeler, without locking up the rear wheel as weight is transferred forward. Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla S85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

FrostyCanada
Location: The Laurentians, a skip away from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 am

JoeS wrote: Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.

Hello,JoeS, can you please explain further?

I was always under the impression that all electric vehicles with regen operated the same way.

What makes our little iMiev's so special as compared to the Leaf, Soul EV, etc?

Brian
2016 i-MiEV
with navigation package, in pearl white.

PV1
Site Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 am

Different vehicles are programmed different ways. Mitsubishi designed the i-MiEV with nearly as much regen force as motive power. I don't think any other production EV comes this close in terms of regen to power ratio. Also, since the i-MiEV is one of the lightest EVs on the market, this means that it has the most regen per pound of vehicle weight, making regen very effective. By comparison, max regen in the LEAF feels like no-pedal regen in ECO mode. Even when both vehicles regen the same amount of power, the i-MiEV will slow down faster since the LEAF is a heavier car.

I would not like going to another vehicle with weak regen. Unlike friction brakes, regen doesn't wear out and need replaced, and it doesn't fade on long, downhill descents as long as there's room in the battery.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.
3 years with the i-MiEV and loving every mile!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi FrostyCanada - PV1 explained it well. Cars with very strong regen include the Tesla and BMW i3 (although it's my understanding that BMW backed off a bit from the very high regen that they first started with). Even though the Tesla max regen is only about 30% of max power, it has so much power available that even that amount of regen really slows it down despite the car's tremendous weight.

There is a worldwide UN performance standard in terms of deceleration above which the brake lights must turn on. The i-MiEV is still below that range.

On the i-MiEV, I tell people that when driving I have four levels of regen: zero (when placed into Neutral), and one for each of the drive settings. The 125A number is the max regen current in B I recall seeing on CaniOn (may have been 130A?), with 155A being the maximum measured current drawn when accelerating hard.

Back on topic, I fear that the single rear wheel drive of, for example, the SOLO, will preclude aggressive regeneration because of the concern over rear-wheel lockup on slippery surfaces. This point could be software controlled using the ABS sensors, but I don't know if they're taking the time to develop this yet.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla S85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

FrostyCanada
Location: The Laurentians, a skip away from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks guys, very interesting as always.

Brian
2016 i-MiEV
with navigation package, in pearl white.

Phximiev

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Phximiev wrote:New Electra Meccanica Store: http://electrameccanica.com/category/blog/

"RSVP for Our First SOLO Store Opening!

It's official: our first SOLO store is about to open at Bentall Centre Mall in downtown Vancouver, and you're invited to join us next Wednesday for the Grand Opening!

Ribbon cutting will take place shortly after Noon, February 15th, at our new Bentall Tower II location. Be sure to email your RSVP to events@electrameccanica.com. See below for event location."

See the website link for the event location.

I received a reminder on this, so:

The First SOLO Store Opens Tomorrow!

Don't forgot: Tomorrow is the Grand Opening of our new SOLO store! Noon this Wednesday is when we'll be cutting the ribbon on our new Bentall Tower II location. RSVP to events@electrameccanica.com, and come say "hello" to your latest source for all things SOLO!
2012 iMIEV ES

misterbleepy

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 am

blackheart wrote:Actually - if I could get a Morgan three wheeler ;-) http://www.maxim.com/rides/morgan-ev3-three-wheel-beauty-2016-3

They do a "lite" version of the EV3 - cheaper, slower, but probably much cheaper to ship from Malvern to where you are ;-)

https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/shop/index.php/morgan-junior-ev.html
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

misterbleepy

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 am

JoeS wrote:Still have to wonder what % of max power can be regenerated by a rear-wheel-drive three-wheeler, without locking up the rear wheel as weight is transferred forward. Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.

I just watched another of the Morgan promo videos about the EV3 (a Selfridges limited/special edition) and there's a couple of driving shots that show the rear wheel fairly clearly.
I'd guess it's easily wider than the combined width of the (very skinny) front tyres - as is the total rear contact patch of the i-MiEV compared to the total front contact patch - so maybe it could have pretty high regen like the i-MiEV does.
I'd love to test drive one to find out :-)
Video here - rear tyre shown well at 2:35:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLO4u1hQQ4
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”