MB B Range Extender and Radar controlled regen options

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archie_b

MB has two interesting options available on the new B-class electric.

The first is a Range Extender. This includes additional insulation in the doors and roof for increased climate control, an electrically heated windshield and a button that will add about 17 additional miles to a charge. The additional insulation makes sense in any climate, but combining it with the electrically heated windshield is more like a cold weather package. MB claims using the heated windshield uses less energy than conventional defrost systems. How the range extender button adds 17 additional miles is not disclosed but I assume it is making more of the battery capacity available on a 1 time basis. With a standard range of 85 miles the addition of 17 miles represents a 20% increase in range.

The radar controlled regen option monitors the speed and distance of the car ahead of you. It then adjusts the amount of regen based on this information. An example would be the car ahead traveling about the same speed slows slightly and you step on the brake. The regen would be normal. If the car ahead braked sharply, the distance between you decreased rapidly and you stepped on the brake the regen would be at maximum. In addition, paddle shifters give you the option of 3 regen levels from glide, normal and maximum regen.

The cost of these options is reasonable: $600 for the range extender and $350 for the radar regen. It's great to see a manufacturer thinking outside the box when it comes to EVs. Cars have never had insulation, other than sound deadening, because they had an unlimited source of heat from the ICE. Adding insulation during manufacture of an EV makes so much sense. I just wish it was standard, not an additional charge.

Archie

Back