olagon

Re: Outlander PHEV thread

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

For those interested (I am), looks like late 2015 the Outlander PHEV should be in the U.S. and as an upgrade to what's out there now http://insideevs.com/2016-us-bound-mits ... different/.
2012 iMiev SE
Last two cars were both '95 biodiesel benz
Home & now car 100% PV powered since '09
Other car 2003 Forester...waiting to upgrade when Outlander PHEV is out :-)

jray3

late 2015 Outlander PHEV

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:52 am

Ugh. After looking at both of those concepts, I'm even less optimistic. If I wanted a highway rocket for 4 adults I wouldn't be looking at SUVs- that's what sedans are for. We, like many families, frequently need seating for six (unless it becomes legal to put Grandma and Grandpa in a trailer, or should that be the kids..). The six-seat occasions are now down around 5000 miles per year, but monthly minivan rentals aren't yet practical, and the van makes a fine secondary vehicle to play second fiddle to the i-MiEV. Perhaps as the car-sharing services mature...
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 70,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Vike

Re: late 2015 Outlander PHEV

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

jray3 wrote:If I wanted a highway rocket for 4 adults I wouldn't be looking at SUVs- that's what sedans are for.
Just so we're all on the same page, let's keep in mind that the Outlander is not a SUV. It's a CUV, which in this case means a mid-size station wagon styled to look like a SUV, because a certain category of buyers (currently over-represented in the U.S.) have decided that they only want practical vehicles if they're disguised to look like wildly inappropriate ones (a lifestyle of suburban commuting and shopping apparently being a source of shame when compared to a lifestyle of off-road hunting and camping, even if approximately nobody you know ever goes off-road to hunt or camp). If you really want SUV capabilities, the Outlander was never going to make the cut, though it does sound like you're more interested in a minivan (another apparently sinful vehicle category, despised only slightly less than station wagons).

As I noted before, I may not be looking for a "rocket", but I sure would like a vehicle with reasonable cargo space and ample room for four typical American adults that can operate as an efficient hybrid for long-distance travel, and (ideally) a BEV for local use. GM's got a pretty good shot at delivering this if they can fit Voltec into an Equinox without destroying its utility (hint: don't put the batteries in the trunk). Ford doesn't seem to have a clue - they haven't met a cargo area that they don't think would be perfectly fine half-filled with batteries.

So while I don't disagree that my use case is "what sedans are for", and I'd love to have a sedan that filled the bill (e.g., we looked at the Accord Hybrid with great interest until we got a look at its useless trunk live and in person), the Outlander PHEV is what comes closest right now. The Volvo XC90 isn't even in the ballpark, especially when price is factored in.

With our gen2 Prius aging and the Outlander PHEV U.S. launch now pushed so far into the future, it's likely I'll have to give up on a plug-in. We plan to hold out at least until the gen4 Prius launches next year, and then we'll consider the available options; a Prius Plug-In (should Toyota finally deign to sell them in our state) might be as close as we can get.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

rkarl89203

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:40 pm

so basically its a sorta sporty large 4WD Volt.
Still consumes gasoline albeit at a slower rate.
Cheaper than a Volt though.

jray3

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Vike, I suspect we are very much on the same page. The only thing I consider sinful about minivans is that the category has been so neglected that the biggest news of the last few years was a built-in vacuum cleaner! Minivans are far more useful than SUVs and CUVs, and if Honda had IMA'd the Odyssey I'd've been in a new one years ago. Similarly, if Toyota had Priused the Sienna, Ford had preserved 7 seats in the C-Max, or GM had a Voltec 6+ seat offering that wasn't an oversized and overpriced SUV, we'd be there.

Instead, we replaced our most fuel-efficient vehicle with the i-MiEV and took a lot of load off the remaining guzzlers.
I'm sure we would have used less fuel overall with even only a 20 mile PHEV minivan than the MiEV, but that was not to be.

Mitsubishi, have you got the message yet? Give the 'merican market something that lets them have their cake and eat it too- the PHEV CUV in conservative styling. Once they give electric driving a chance, then you'll also sell more i-MiEV.
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel

Vike

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 pm

rkarl89203 wrote:so basically its a sorta sporty large 4WD Volt.
Still consumes gasoline albeit at a slower rate.
Cheaper than a Volt though.
Oh yes, very Volt-like, though we have no reason to expect a price significantly below $40k, thousands more than the Volt. But it will be well worth it.

Btw, many Volts (perhaps most) very rarely consume any gasoline at all, so "slower rate" doesn't quite cover it. If I'd bought/leased one instead of my i-MiEV, I might not go through a tank a year, given my town's small footprint and our driving habits. In our household fleet, the Outlander PHEV would similarly be a BEV for all intents and purposes aside from road trip duties.

And yes, jray3, I do believe we have similar perspectives on American truck-mania, especially when it's been indulged at the expense of more economical and drivable wagons, hatchbacks, and minivans. Our take on the Outlander PHEV is different mainly because our needs are different - not quite enough for you, luxurious excess for us.

fjpod

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 am

I don't see anything wrong with Americans, or anyone else, wanting to drive a vehicle that looks like and feels like an SUV, but is more suitable for everyday street use. I like my cars a little higher off the ground, with a little extra cargo space for easy in and out of bulky items.

Anyway, has MM announced an actual price for the American version, soon to be released?

Vike

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:38 pm

fjpod wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Americans, or anyone else, wanting to drive a vehicle that looks like and feels like an SUV, but is more suitable for everyday street use. I like my cars a little higher off the ground, with a little extra cargo space for easy in and out of bulky items.
Well, that's just the point - all that can be achieved with a vehicle that doesn't look like something based on a pickup truck. There is very definitely something wrong with wanting vehicles that consume more fuel while delivering exactly zero extra functionality. For instance, I'm glad that Ford was able to put people back into station wagons by relabeling the Taurus X (itself a relabeled Freestyle, the wagon version of the Ford 500) as the "Explorer", but there's a bit of sheetmetal and mass devoted to promoting the illusion of truckness, and that's a pity.

The Outlander, like Chevy's Equinox, does a creditable job of being a moderately efficient midsize wagon while projecting a very truck-like image, and there's nothing wrong with that. My beef, as ever, is with commuters using 3-ton off-road boat-haulers to ferry a lone driver and his/her briefcase between exurban bedroom community and suburban office park. There is very definitely something wrong with that - but I doubt I'd get much push-back on that notion here.

RobertC

Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 am

Here is a sales video on the Outlander PHEV from the UK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wm_stG ... q4&index=1
I am envious of the smartphone app.
"Silver" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES - 5/21/2012
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

jray3

New Outlander PHEV renderings

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:26 pm

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outland ... ent-535271

Not as radical as previous renderings. I wish they'd stop fussing about restyling and just ship some product!
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”