Identify this EV? SOLVED!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakine

Well it turns out my iMiev is not the first electric car on Rarotonga. Back in the 80's there was an experimental research station here. I don't know much about the back story, still trying to get details on it. Apparently they tried to run on solar and had an electric car. The place closed down over 20 year ago and it was left abandoned. The car was left where you see it in the pictures with the jungle reclaiming it. A pity really, part of the Cook Islands history being left to deteriorate. Really should be in a museum. It is a two seater. Left hand drive. Curious instrument panel. You can see where it plugs in. Anyone know what model this is? Okay user rhett in #cars on Efnet identified the model. It is a Comuta-car. Google images of it and you can see that's exactly what this is.
elec1.jpg

elec2.jpg

elec3.jpg

elec4.jpg

elec5.jpg

elec6.jpg

elec7.jpg

elec8.jpg

elec9.jpg

So, that's where my cars brother ended up.
I am the original owner (and still own) a 1980 Commuta-Car like the one in the jungle except mine is white.
What a sad end to a fun driving vehicle.
They ran on eight, 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries that on that model were mounted outboard of the body, between the front and rear bumpers and the body.
They also had a 12 volt auxilliary battery under the bench seat that powered the lights and windshield wiper.
The picture makes me think of Mayan ruins covered in vines.

2012, Silver ES, with Q.C.

That is a CitiCar ... they were sold in the US from the mid to late 1970s. Top speed was around 30 mph. I remember a dealer in Lansing, Michigan had them for sale.

Back