DougC

Re: Need a longer range ev

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm leaning Bolt. May end up going Volt unless I can get a decent deal on a Bolt.

I just bought a neat little cedar challet that will be my retirement place. That's why the need for 100 mile range. Once I recover financially from the closing I will make a decision on the car. Maybe end of year if they do the typical sales on new cars. This area has so many GM employees and family who get discounts that the dealers have deals that almost offset the depreciation hit you take off the lot on a new car.

I just saw a 2017 Volt premier lease I could take over for $231 a month 1000 miles a month. Might look into that to see how I like the Volt. That would take me out another 2years where I might be able to get a used Bolt. The miles are low but it might work for me.

What kind of range does the Bolt get at 80-85 mph? That's the typical highway speed here on Friday afternoon on my route to the cottage.

DougC

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 am

A local dealer has a 2013 Volt with 75k miles for $10,300. My co-worker has a relative that works there so I'm going to see if there is any friends of family discounts ;)

I made the mistake of buying the MIEV without the remote FOB. Other than the car key fobs, is there any extra pieces I need to make sure come with the car?

Thoughts on the price?

jray3

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Congrats Doug- I'm not aware of any accessories to the Volt other than the L1 EVSE. According to their owners forum, the Gen 1 volts use their regular key fob for remote start, but also have an OnStar app.

Are you going to have a garage for that car? If not, I'd lean towards a used one. Besides, Volt batteries should last a lot longer than any pure EV and the car will retain near full utility with a degraded battery, just at lower economy and possibly slower acceleration as the pack gets saggy.
Last edited by jray3 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 96,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

pbui19

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I would try to find out if there is any near future plan for DCFC installation along your route, as well as to consider your time frame. I don't know how near retirement you are, but your driving need would change.

We have an 2014 iMiev, '16 Volt, and a '17 Bolt; totally now over 100K electric miles. Joes introduced me to the iMiev back in 2013. We, except my wife, have been very happy with the Bolt for long distance trip. My wife does not want to be bothered to stop to charge, though she regularly does pit-stops. So she prefers the Volt on those trips. But the Bolt is working for the rest of us on those long trips because of the DCFC infrastructure in California; and more is coming in the next two months along hwy 5 between San Jose & LA.

I am in the market for an used 75D/85D, and almost pulled the trigger last week with a 85S, 56Kmiles, $35K. But I prefer an AWD.

It's a rather personal call, and there are some unknowns (driving needs, charging stations...). Personally, I would go with a Bolt with DCFC. Rumor has it that the 2019 Bolt has target-charge-termination.

Good luck, :)

Don
Site Moderator

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 am

I really like the idea of driving pure EV's . . . . wherever and whenever practical. Our two iMiEV's have been the best things we've purchased in a long time. The wife loves hers and that's largely because in more than 6 years, she's never had the slightest bit of 'range anxiety' - I keep it charged (not fully, but to the point I want) and she gets in it and drives, wherever she wants and she's never had to worry about not making it home - She tells me where shes headed and asks if she has the juice to make the trip

When we wanted a longer range car, we thought (briefly) about a used Tesla like Joe's and a Bolt, but not everywhere do you find recharging networks like you have along the west coast - In fact, pretty much nowhere else do you find that level of support. Joe has driven his Tesla coast to coast several times and has published his 'recharging adventures' for all of us to read and while you do meet the nicest people when arranging to refuel your EV, those pauses are not for everyone and I know my wife would not take well to the adventure . . . . and to be truthful, many times it would not be my cup of tea either - Many times, you'd be forced to make allowances and it wouldn't always be convenient

So, after evaluating our travel needs, we bought the '17 Volt Premier and so far, it's been the best of both worlds for us. We drive electrically most of the time - up to around 70 miles sometimes - and we recharge when and where it's convenient . . . . and not when we're forced to. When it's not convenient, we get by with near 50 mpg until we can recharge without the hassle

Different horses for different courses - A lot depends on where you live and where you want to travel. One day, quick, hassle-free recharging will be available everywhere - Will it be affordable . . . . cheaper than gas at 50 mpg? Who knows and who knows when it will be. In the meantime, you pick what you can live with - What works for someone else may not be 'right' for you

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

jray3

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Long-timers here are familiar with my affectation for Pusher Trailers. The latest iteration is now running, and I hope to post some driving reports early in the new year.
http://karmanneclectric.blogspot.com/2018/12/even-rangy-ier.html
No, I'm not taking it on our annual 2500 mile Christmas road trip! HowEVer, driving an i-MiEV around that small town has really brought my dad out of his shell. He's hanging around the community center coffee shop for opportunity charging while in-between mom's various appointments. Making new friends and running into old ones... ;)
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 96,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

ChrisEV

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:01 pm

The i-MIEV has become our primary car, 99% of the driving we do is within its range and I use our van for those rare long trips.
My wife hates stopping to charge for a long time so I'm not sure if a long range EV is in our future based on what's on the market now. The upcoming Model Y seems to be the best fit, as Superchargers are more plentiful than Chademo/CCS chargers and faster too.
The Bolt is pretty nice but it seems slow to charge and that's even worse in winter where DC charging rate is cut in half.
And since we get charged based on time instead of kWh roadtrips here in Canada can be very expensive and slow.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”